[OSList] Open Space in Prison

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Thu Aug 1 20:09:55 PDT 2019

This week I have been doing some work with Adam Foss and his
Prosecutor Impact program in Columbus, Ohio. USA. (See link below)

As part of this two week program we took 40+ prosecutors to Marion
Correctional Institution for the day. Most had never been in a prison.
Without going into the details, a group of 12 inmates organized a day
of activities to provide the prosecutors to explore what it might mean
to re-imagine the roles of prosecutors on the criminal justice system
in the US and in Ohio.

We entered a very large chapel in the prison and discovered a very
large circle of chairs. Imagine my surprise when Wayne, a lifer, said
that while he had been inside he had learned about a process called
Open Space Technology and entered into a brief review of the
Principles and the Law! He sent markers around the circle, explaining
that they were serving as both a talking sticks and ways to identify
topics... an approach that accommodated the security concerns
reflected in prison policies.

Purists might raise a number of questions about how the process was
planned and executed, but if the essence is opening space for people
to organize themselves to have several rounds of dialogue within the
Principles and the Laws... I call it an amazing success. If inmates
and prosecutors crying and embracing as part of the closing circle...
I call it an amazing success.

Before we left I asked Wayne how he learned about OST. He said he
found this "old green book" in the prison library!

I have been blessed to have experienced and convened many OST
experiences that left me feeling deeply touched, but I suspect this
session will always live deep  in my heart as one of the most profound!

https://www.ted.com/talks/adam_foss_a_prosecutor_s_vision_for_a_better_justice_system/discussion

--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth