[OSList] OST as a way to go in addressing climate change and other perils

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 02:05:47 PDT 2019

G’day from Downunder again

To express my appreciation for the responses received to my missive of 13
April 1919 about this topic. They were all offline. Mainly from people who
know me personally from our meetings during times and places since my being
an OST <http://www.openspaceworld.org>facilitator, starting in 1994.

Including this: “Great idea Alan. I look forward to hearing what response
you get. I am so ‘over’ the alternatives (commonly called ‘summits’ or
‘round tables’ (which might be ‘round’ in name only), where the regular
suspects talk ‘at’ each other.

 Open Space, open invitation, is really the way to go with such a complex
question.”

And who have offered sage suggestions, such as:

Delete all references to myself and how I came up with the idea.

Instead state clearly in as few words as possible, viz 'the juicy' parts
about:

What do I suggest?

What could the proposed action possibly achieve?

What will be the details?

One responder wonders if the way of using OST I am suggesting could only be
done at a national government level; a fair query, in my opinion.

Nonetheless what I will go ahead in proposing is to have an OST based
gathering with the backing of a State’s ‘Climate Body’. In this instance
South Australia.

Together with the local organizers of ‘School Strikers’ as the 'auspicers'
to invite representatives of some main 'constituents' to participate in a
2.5 day OST event I the manner I had outlined earlier.

And so I will go ahead with the basic initiative as spelled in my note to
our List of a few days ago.

On the premise that ‘whatever happens …’ <smile>

To be despatched shortly after the forthcoming Easter weekend.

*Before doing this I would ask you again: Do you have any thoughts on my
proposed way of using OST which you reckon could strengthen the likelihood
of its being acted upon?*

Looking forward.

*Al  *

Al (formerly Alan) Stewart, PhD
Process Artist
Facilitator of conversations that matter and participatory fun

Senior Fulbright Scholar

Blog:  www.conversare.net

Member:  American Society for Cybernetics <http://asc-cybernetics.org/>

*Member: **National Trouble Makers Union* <http://www.ntmu.com.au/>

*Residence: Adelaide, South Australia, since 1975  With time away in the
USA (1981) and Hong Kong (2005-2011 <(2005-2011>)  *

*_________________________________*

*"Whenever we treat each other well good things happen."*

* Al Stewart*

*“Be yourself.  And be it well”*

PS You may also be inspired – and alarmed – by the recent contribution from
Bill McKibben to this most vital concern of our times. See his new book
entitled *Falter* here
<https://www.democracynow.org/2019/4/15/falter_in_new_book_bill_mckibben>
 and here
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/books/review/bill-mckibben-falter.amp.html>