[OSList] One thing less to do and other neat ideas from the field of experience and practice

Juliane Martina Roell (Structure & Process) juliane at structureprocess.com
Mon Apr 15 09:18:10 PDT 2019

Michael M Pannwitz schrieb am 13.04.19 um 08:54:

> --- the beginning times for the breakout sessions are fixed and there is
> a longer break between those breakout sessions in the middle of the day
> (I have not experimented without beginning times and am interested to
> hear more details, stories with this approach)
>
> Ok, come out of your lonely place and spread your learning (which, as
> you might have heard, is a Law)

The first time I worked with an open (timeless, slot-less) schedule, we
had about 40 participants and a space in which we could serve only
snacks, but no larger food. (It was also the hottest day of that summer,
40 Celsius in Frankfurt am Main!) But there were plenty of restaurants
around and a market downstairs.

So we informed people at the beginning, that there was no planned "lunch
break", and they could "break" any time (as it's open space) but that if
they felt that they wanted to schedule some food intake systematically,
they could.

Self-organisation took over, of course: some people just had lunch when
they felt like it, some people scheduled issue-sessions-over-lunch ("my
session will by on X and it will happen in the Y-restaurant"), some
people just scheduled lunch ("I will go for sushi at 1pm - who wants to
join?").

I remember being part of a group that went to a topic-less lunch
together, and when after 90 minutes of glorious food and conversation we
were clearly not done yet, but some people got nervous because other
sessions were scheduled to start now, we realised that most of the
people were around the table anyway and we could just expand time a good
bit. Some of the afternoon sessions started 2 hours later than
originally scheduled - and that was just fine.

TLDR: One might consider that a "lunch break" is just another type of
session and leave it to the participants to organise it as they see fit.

Love,
Juliane.

--
Structure & Process  | http://structureprocess.com | @strucproc
Juliane Martina Röll | GSM: +49 178 4984743