[OSList] One thing less to do and other neat ideas from the field of experience and practice

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 23:54:29 PDT 2019

Dear Gray and Juliane and everyone out there,

lonely souls!
Right, this is one reason to have OSLIST. It works.

Remembering and honoring that "breaks" were the beginning of open space
technology I looked out for ways to have the entire os event in the
spirit and the structure of a break... and it is not over and probably
will never be.
Here are some of my details:

--- the event starts with a "break". Its there in the schedule: 8:30 Break

--- there are only beginning times for breakout sessions, no slots (and
in the introduction I address this aspect in context of one of the Facts
of Life "When its over, its over... When its not over, its not over")

--- instead of time slots for meals or coffee breaks, there is a
permanent buffet, from 8:30am, in the first "break", until after the
closing circle. The permanent buffet has always fresh fruit, vegetable
sticks, dips, nuts, coffee, tea, water, juice and someone who looks
after it. During what we usually would call "lunchtime" (lets say from
11:30 to 14:30) the permanent buffet is expanded with something like a
hot soup, salad, bread or even fancier stuff and in the afternoon 14.30
to 16:00 there is another expansion with light cakes cut into small pieces

--- the beginning times for the breakout sessions are fixed and there is
a longer break between those breakout sessions in the middle of the day
(I have not experimented without beginning times and am interested to
hear more details, stories with this approach)

Ok, come out of your lonely place and spread your learning (which, as
you might have heard, is a Law)

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

> Yes, this! For my open spaces since 2007 (at least in one particular
> flavor) we never break up the day - not even for lunch (“At a certain
> time, Lunch will magically appear! If you are hungry then, feel free to
> partake. If not, feel free to keep doing what you’re doing.”) My
> experience has been that I often have to reassure certain people that it
> will be alright - the lack of pre-determined slots makes them nervous.
> By the end of the day, they are almost always happy with it - and
> meanwhile we have sessions (which is what I call them) ranging from 5
> minutes to four and half hours, however much it truly needs.
>
> Juliane, thank you for being the first OS practitioner I’ve ever known
> who also practices this way. I feel less lonely.
>
> :-)
>
> Gray

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000
mmpannwitz at gmail.com

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 475 resident Open
Space Workers in 76 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
www.openspaceworldmap.org

At my publisher you find books and task cards on open space, most in
German, some in English, some as ebooks, some multilingual
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Kommunikation