[OSList] How long for opening for smaller group?

Juliane Martina Roell (Structure & Process) juliane at structureprocess.com
Thu Apr 11 04:45:52 PDT 2019

Jake Yeager via OSList schrieb am 11.04.19 um 01:49:
> I am intrigued by the fact that you do not use pre-determined
>  session slots.  (...)
> What do you find to be the pros and cons of having the participants
> handle time and, I assume, space management?

One less thing to do for me. :o)

I also feel that in my contexts (mostly the German-speaking world),
people follow structure strongly: when a "slot" is 60 minutes, the
"session" that people put into the "slot" will most likely last 60
minutes. And it will end on time, because people have another "session"
to go to (which was put into a pre-defined "slot" earlier on).

"It starts when it starts / it ends when it ends" become somewhat empty
words.

By _not_ predefining "slots", I show people directly that *they can
decide how to spend their time - freely*. In the moment. change their
idea about what is important spontaneously. and so on. Pre-defined slots
often create a "program" for the day whereas an open schedule creates
much more flow, spontaneous changes, interesting conflicts and solutions
about space-usage... and most of all: more *initiative*. With open
schedule I see much more of "Oh, I have a new idea now; I will call for
a session immediately!" (goes to board, rings a bell) and much less of
"oh that was interesting, but the marketplace is already full and all
these other sessions are scheduled so I might wait and see and distract
myself..."

(And some people dislike these conflicts and the creativity and the
intensity that comes with that and go for more ease and efficiency, and
that may be perfectly valid depending on context.)

Another advantage is that people can create very tiny sessions to fix
problems. "I have this thing and I need ten minutes to..." And then
people show up and BOOM it's done, one problem solved, and more capacity
created to now work on other things. This never happens if all the
"slots" are 45, 60, 90 minutes long.

Love,
Juliane.

--
Structure & Process  | http://structureprocess.com | @strucproc
Juliane Martina Röll | GSM: +49 178 4984743