[OSList] How long for opening for smaller group?

Juliane Martina Roell (Structure & Process) juliane at structureprocess.com
Wed Apr 10 06:34:24 PDT 2019

Jake Yeager via OSList schrieb am 10.04.19 um 13:46 > I am helping to
arrange an Open Space for about 30 participants. In
> Harrison's /User Guide/ he indicates 1.5 hours for the opening. This
> seems a little long for a smaller group. What does everyone think?

Hi Jake,

I'd say it depends on what kind of space you are opening: How much time
do you have for the whole thing? A 2 hour event may need a different
opening than a five-day one.

Also: why do you need to know in advance? What decisions depend on your
projection for the duration of the "opening"? Could you just "open" and
go with the flow?

(I'm from the school that uses no pre-framed or -timed "session slots".
I leave all time management to the participants. So I rarely need to
know / plan how long an "opening" or a marketplace phase takes.)

Love,
Juliane.
--
Structure & Process  | http://structureprocess.com | @strucproc
Juliane Martina Röll | GSM: +49 178 4984743