[OSList] Help needed - survey design - State of OST

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Oct 18 13:05:42 PDT 2018

Dear Open Space List,

The Open Space Institute of the U.S. has had as part of our mission to
support research in Open Space. We have discussed research for years,
but now we hope to initiate a research project and we are asking support
from the community to help us design a survey to send out to Open Space
practitioners around the world. A State of Open Space Technology survey.
We hope this could be an annual survey.

Why a "State of Open Space Technology" survey?

Surveys are a helpful and inexpensive way to conduct research which has
been validated by the sciences. So this is effectively a research
project. It also helps us know ourselves in an interesting way. It can
also help promote awareness about how Open Space Technology is being
effectively used around the world, and hopefully spread that awareness
beyond those who are already using it. The research can help make it
safer for more people to open space.

Surveys as valid research?

We are basing this on the effective use of surveys in the technology
world. The following two surveys have been an essential part of the
process of both spreading the world and in helping promote
self-awareness for adopters in the world of Agile Software Development.
Specificially through the State of Agile survey hosted by VersionOne
https://stateofagile.versionone.com, which has been happening for 13
years, and more importantly through the State of DevOps survey
(https://puppet.com/resources/whitepaper/state-of-devops-report). This
State of DevOps survey was the topic of what Martin Fowler, one of the
signatories of the Agile Manifesto, calls the most important book of
2018. Namely, "Accelerate