[OSList] OST and what makes team work successful

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Tue Mar 20 19:24:43 PDT 2018

Marai,

Like Peggy Holamn, when I first encountered OST sometime in the
mid-90s I was struck by the simplicity and the welcoming, inclusive
spirit. Somewhat consistent with Harrison's observation, I find that
what some people call safety is what others may experience as
avoidance, denial, or external limit setting.

That is not to discount the notion of psychological safety, although,
as gifted as Dr. Edmondson is, I suspect she did not coin the term. I
was introduced to the concept in the late 70s, by people who had been
using it for a long time in much the same way as you defined it. We
were working with serious drug addicts, treatment people, judges and
police officers (including narcotics agents) who we were engaging in
dialogue about potential treatment strategies and public policy.
Getting a "junkie" and a "narc" to meet together required creating
psychologist safety and that's what we called it. I only wish I had
learned about Bohm's Principles of Dialogue and Open Space back then.

--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth
ChangeWorks of the Heartland