[OSList] Good questions for a OS

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Jun 13 08:59:12 PDT 2018

I want to second what Marai says about "How..." questions, because they are
such an easy default.  I, too, find them more closing than opening.  I
think we actually tend to hear "How do we..." as "Do you know how we
can..."  which is essentially a yes-no question without a lot of potential
for discussion.

Having tried for many many years to improve on "What are the issues and
opportunities for... (usually the future of something)?" -- and only
occasionally, very situationally, succeeded... I've pretty much stopped
trying.  There's lots of room for discussion, framing and storytelling in
the invitation, but the "issues and opps" question is as good a punch line
there is for anchoring the invitation and carrying into the circle.  It's
wide open, nobody knows the whole answer, and it leaves room for positives
and negatives, history and futures.

Once upon a time, a client was struggling with the drafting of an
invitation.  I made a list of questions and suggested she think about short
answers to each, or the ones that resonated most.  She and then others
found that useful.  Over the years that page evolved into a short guide and
then I wrapped all the rest of my favorite OS sharing materials around it.

Here's the link to that document, still called an "Inviting Guide."
http://www.michaelherman.com/publications/inviting_leadership_guide.pdf  I
often point clients to the one page full of questions that might be useful
and suggest they sketch a few lines to answer a few of the most relevant
questions.  They're listed in an order that the answers could almost always
be simply strung together in that order and make good sense, but that
almost never happens.  In the end that list of questions is just a way to
ease into the potential.

And, having just cracked open Harrison's User's Guide for the first time in
a long time, I find no reference to the "broad and inclusive" language
mentioned earlier, but the Guide itself is still a marvel of substance and
simplicity!!

Michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:24 PM, Thomas Herrmann via OSList <