[OSList] Good questions for a OS

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:49:10 PDT 2018

As always, the question depends on the need and purpose of the Open Space.

Basically I always work with clients to clearly speak the necessity for the meeting.  Way do you need to do this now? Why are you using open space?

And then from a purpose perspective I ask what are you trying to do here? How will this meeting help you? How can the participants help?

From there I help my clients design a way to work with the results, so everyone knows what will happen to the insights and learning that are developed. Sometimes this is “nothing” and other times, there will be a need for a detailed follow up process to take ideas and put them into action, whatever that looks like.

And after all that, it usually comes dow to a very simple question like “Givien the needs we are facing what are the conversations we need to have now?” Or “what are the projects we need to start?” Or the classic Harrison Owen question: “what are the issues and opportunities for <working with our purpose>?”

Be simple in your question, be open to the variety of answers and approaches people will take.  Never give examples of the kinds of conversations that people should be having. Let the participants bring the depth to the work and do a very thorough job of inviting so that you have a high amount of diversity and conflicting opinions in the room.

And then, of course, open the space and get out of the way.

Chris