[OSList] OST encourages avoidance of conflict

Martina Roell (Structure & Process) martina at structureprocess.com
Wed Jan 31 01:42:41 PST 2018

Hey Daniel,

Daniel Mezick via OSList wrote:
> I am hearing this pointed criticism from some quarters: That OST
> actually encourages conflict-avoidance via the Law of 2 Feet.

Well, even if that were true (which I don't think it is): would it be a
bad thing? I would rather have "conflict avoidance" than war. I would
rather have "conflict avoidance" than rips in a community.

> In other
> words, people who need to be resolving conflict (or at least discussing
> it) can just avoid the touchy topic... and each other.

I wonder who "people who need to be resolving conflict" are. When I hear
that rhetoric, I think it tells me more about the speaker than about the
"people" they are speaking about: The speaker seems to have some idea
about "the people" who "need" to do something: "they (!) should (!) be
resolving conflict!" "They (!) should (!) not be avoiding (this and that)".

It's the position of a "leader" who thinks they know better than "the
people".

To them, I say: well go ahead and make an invitation for people to step
into a tight container and "resolve conflict" or "go into conflict" or
whatever you think is needed. See if anyone shows up.
Or, if you feel yourself empowered to do so: "force" the people to "do"
whatever you think "they should" do. See what happens. But why continue
to whine about Open Space?

Love,

Martina

--