[OSList] OST encourages avoidance of conflict

Chris Altmikus @ iDeA-Link chris.altmikus at idea-link.eu
Tue Jan 30 16:09:49 PST 2018

Mmmh, in my experience this is neither a question of format nor one of the law of the two feet.

Let me develop on the latter first: The law of the two feet tells us to do what we can to best contribute from inside ourselves. In my eyes this completely embraces dealing with diversity, difference, different perspectives, disagreement, tension as well as open or covert conflict.

When it comes to the format, OST is building on our intrinsic motivation and passion. When we share a meaningful question that brings us together in OST and we are participating from deeply inside ourselves, then OST can actually be a highly conducive format to dealing with conflict. This being said, there are certainly other formats that can also be very powerful when it comes to dealing with conflict, such as Circle Way and others.

In my mind this question is more related to a social/societal judgement of conflict as being detrimental and a leaning for some to actively « avoid » conflict (conflict as a meme) . And if conflict could actually be healthy, depending on how we deal with it, when it manifests ? Catalytic, catharisic ? If it was inviting and mobilizing us to deal with tough questions and issues ? If it was energizing us to drive authenticity, openness, transparency and clarification ?
Chris

	Chris M. Altmikus
        Chemin de la Bovarde 37
        CH-1091 Grandvaux