[OSList] OST encourages avoidance of conflict

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Tue Jan 30 14:24:59 PST 2018

Daniel,

Interesting concern. I think I remember hearing this from a well
respected management guru as a critique of Open Space. I can't help but
wonder the following:

- How well do individual adults resolve conflicts when an authority
figure forces them?
- How well do conflicting peoples or tribal communities resolve
conflicts when they are forcibly held together by an imperial force
(think Rome, USSR, pre-partition India, etc etc etc)

If you are dealing with children or developmentally challenged
individuals - especially those who have violated others rights are are
in prison - I can imagine there being some value to some level of
compulsion or coercion here. But even there, it may temporarily resolve
the fighting and damage, but not the children's growth.

If you are dealing with severe human rights being violated in tribal
scenarios, I can see how that might justify gunboat diplomacy. But I
can't imagine the tribal system will evolve to respect human rights
without a huge additional investment from the gunboat diplomats. And it
is all too likely that such interference may not only cause even bigger
problems later on, but can also encourage exploitation of the less
developed tribe/community.

Thanks for asking this question!

     Harold

On 1/30/18 2:07 PM, Daniel Mezick via OSList wrote:

> I am hearing this pointed criticism from some quarters: That OST
> actually encourages conflict-avoidance via the Law of 2 Feet. In other
> words, people who need to be resolving conflict (or at least
> discussing it) can just avoid the touchy topic... and each other.
>
> Could this actually be true? If not why not?
>

> --
> Daniel Mezick
> Culture Strategist. Author. Keynoter.
> (203) 915 7248. Bio. <http://www.DanielMezick.com/> Blog.