[OSList] WOSonOS 2018 Invitation Planning

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Jan 29 20:46:48 PST 2018

Some thoughts on your invitation about inviting and invitation(s), Mark...
since you invited comments...

This strikes me as the first time I've ever heard the "Open Space
Community" carved into "tribes," albeit as yet unnamed.  Might be true,
might even be useful, but my first sense is that it doesn't feel good.  It
doesn't feel like us, this thing about "tribes."

Then there is this business about "invitation(s)."  For years I have
advised clients to resist any urge to craft "versions" of their
invitation.  If we are to be one community, one gathering, one circle, then
we must come for one purpose stated in one invitation.  This doesn't mean
it must go out in one language, but it doesn't sound like these sessions
are about literally translating the invitation.  The one and only theme for
Open Space on Open Space is just that:  Open Space.

As for "representatives" from these unnamed "tribes," this strikes me as
completely antithetical to Open Space, where there are not factions and the
only person to represent anyone is themselves.  In Open Space, the only
people who can "identify the needs of the community" is everyone.  And the
last thing I'd want us to do is actually go an name the many tribes.
Thanks for not doing that!

In the past, when the community has acknowledged/accepted an offer to host
the world osonos, it's that person and sometimes a small local group who
gets to craft that invitation, so I would hope we might hear something from
Kari first.  Maybe we already have via the facebook group that's been
started.  And then, once we do get an invitation crafted by our host, THEN
there might be some business about translation, or not.  Doesn't matter,
we've been to more countries than I can count and language hasn't been a
problem yet.

Beyond that, inviting is simply a matter of anyone who cares to, and nobody
has to, but anyone who wants to can simply copy, paste, link, post, tweet
etc...  among friends: "Hey check this out, maybe we should go?"  and "I'm
going to this, please join me/us... it's the 26th annual international Open
Space on (and all about) Open(ing) Space."

Everyone can help invite and it's just that simple.  Take whatever Kari
posts or emails to the list and just repost, retweet, resend... to anyone
you think might learn and contribute to our whole community conversation.
Anything more would very likely be one more thing to not do.  Anything more
might be a lot of trying to organize something that's been self-organizing
for a quarter century already.  Anything more would seem to be speaking for
our gracious host.

The way forward seems simpler than what you're suggesting here, Mark.  It's
quite enough to "show up, bring friends and add spirit."  The most
compelling thing any of us can say about this year's world OSonOS is "I'm
definitely going -- Please come with me!"

I'm not sure if I can get there this year, but when Kari's first
announcement came out a little while ago, I did what I've been doing for
many years, I posted the details at openspaceworld.org.  If everyone just
does their small part, copying and reposting Kari's invitation as it
trickles out and takes shape... as ever, whoever comes will be exactly the
right people.  Or so we have been saying for many years.

Michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:57 PM, Mark Sheffield via OSList <