[OSList] OST encourages avoidance of conflict (a bit long)

Harrison Owen hhowensr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 06:58:04 PST 2018

Good tale Chris! I (vaguely) remember when it was all going down. And then of course there was the one about building roads on tribal lands. I tell it at the opening of The User’s Guide if you want the details – but basically we has several hundred Feds, State Government and 1st Nation people who had been charged with the expenditure of over a billion $$’s for roads on Tribal Lands. These folks had spent several years killing each other, and the money was just about to go back to the US Treasury. Two days of sizzling open space with conflict massively deep…  and in the closing circle I’ll never forget a Navaho Chief saying that he had never felt so listened to and respected. 6 weeks later the final allocation plan was signed and approved. Works. And for the record, I never intervened at any point. I’m sure that wasn’t about doctrine or process – just pure self preservation. But what I learned was there was no need.

Harrison