[OSList] Open Space in Charlottesville

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 6 19:31:29 PDT 2017

Thanks for these thoughts, Birgitt.  I was looking for some advice like
that.  I'll reach out to the World Cafe folks to hear their suggestions.

>From my local perspective, I don't think these questions close space.  I
agree that they do not open space as much as the type of question you have
in mind.  Space is pretty closed right now, so these questions will open
space, but yes they may drag people back into an offense/defense mentality
so I do agree that they leave something (or a lot) to be desired.

On the other hand, these questions "meet people where they are", because
most people are already in an offense/defense mentality about politics,
especially here in Charlottesville and elsewhere in the US South on the
topic of Confederate monuments.  This event meets people where they are
(strolling around outdoors), gives people a chance to say what they are
thinking, and gives them a chance to feel heard.  Then again, saying what
one is thinking is not always a good thing.

I'm going to reach out and see what the World Cafe folks have to say.
Thanks for the fearless comments!

Lucas Cioffi
Founder, QiqoChat.com
Charlottesville, VA
Mobile: 917-528-1831

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Birgitt Williams via OSList <