[OSList] OST training September 6-8 in Europe (X-posted GC/GCD/OS-lists)

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jul 17 15:38:44 PDT 2017

I am not at all sure what "we are".

I wonder whether I can be sure what my focus as facilitator in the OST
context is.
So far, I felt my focus was to assist the sponsor in finding out whether
an OST event is in order for whatever it is that he/she wants to do. The
straightforward approach was to take a look with him whether the 5 or so
prerequisites for an OST event are in place.
When that is the case and the event is decide on, the sponsor opens the
space for the event to take place. I have never heard a sponsor talk
about "emergence". Sponsors always wanted that some headway is made in a
wicked situation for which nobody had a solution so far.
Considering that the force of selforganization is always active but
sometimes pretty cramped (when various kinds of controls are exerted) it
appears to me to be less a question of "setting the stage for
selforganization" but being aware that it has its stage, albeit very
small at times, and that it can do better by having a bit more time and
space to unfold on its stage.
Focusing selforganization seems to me more in the direction of
controlling selforganization and that is probably impossible. Even less
possible seem to me any attempts to have bumblebees feel more empowered
to do what I might think they ought to do. Its just as futile as working
on empowering other human beings, especially facing the fact what a hard
time I have to empower myself.

Yes, I also see/feel/notice/ etc. lots of unexpected and thrilling stuff
while meandering through an OST event picking up coffee cups or taking a
nap, oblivious to what direction things go and happily appreciating
seeing folks follow their passions in structures and processes they
themselves create in a fashion that no number of facilitators could.

Sleepless in Berlin and finding it great to be tickled into this dialog.

cheers
mmp