[OSList] open space, enterprise scrum, and business agility?

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jan 30 08:02:38 PST 2017

hi all,

i spent last week learning about something called enterprise scrum, an
approach being developed by mike beedle, one of the original agile
manifesto signatories.  it allows the scrum project management practice to
be stretched across large products or portfolios, the whole of a company's
IT work, or even across the whole of the business.  in the last case, he
calls it "business agility."

here's the open space connection:  all of scrum, from single teams to whole
organizations runs on putting all the most important things to do and
address on the wall.  imagine that.  our participants often sort their
issues by day/time and mike's approaches run on what he calls a "canvas"
which is pretty much a big wall of issues sorted by type of work and
priority.

these canvas walls persist and evolve over time, getting reviewed and
improved, as the work gets done.   it looks an awful lot like what we might
call ongoing open space, which i think is pretty exciting.

mike will be running some enterprise scrum and business agility training
programs coming up very soon in germany (next week or two in berlin, i
think), but also in chicago and new york during many months this year.  i
will find out the details if anyone is interested.

this is maybe a too-technical and/or ongoing tangent to our usual
conversations on the oslist, so mailto:michael at michaelherman.com directly
if you're working with busienss/technical groups and want to learn more
about what mike is doing?

thanks, michael

--

Michael Herman