[OSList] Now What?

Tony Budak via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Jan 24 21:35:40 PST 2017

Dear All,
In opening time/space, Harrison’s “Now What” returns much. For me I
identify a key to the future, autonomy respecting co-creating
production. So I offer the following for your thinking and doing.
Sincerely,
Tony Budak

*January 24, 2017*
*Day 4 of the First 100 Days,*
Administration of the 45th President of the United States of America
*_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _*
*Friends of the Great Transition,*

Global society has come unhinged from its political, socioeconomic, and
ecological reality-moorings as we've known them. We're in the whitewater
rapids of what could be a downward spiral toward system collapse,
and/or the brink of an unprecedented opportunity for the evolution of
human consciousness. In both cases we're headed into uncharted waters.
Let's work smart, work together, and view whatever lies ahead as a
pathway to deeper understanding.

The inauguration of the 45th President of the United States is four days
behind us. The inauguration optics went a long way toward normalizing
the surreal. We have choices.

*Let us STAY AWAKE, and determine NOT to normalize the continual
distortion of reality and erosion of rights.*
*Do Something!*

  *
    Be part of an Indivisible movement chapter: Here's a practical guide
    on how to resist the new administration's agenda, with lessons from
    the Tea Party, put together by former progressive Congressional
    staffers,:
    https://www.indivisibleguide.com <https://www.indivisibleguide.com/>
  *
    Monitor the issues you personally focus on.Communicate and
    shareupdates with your networks.
  * Plan ahead
    ​.​
    Systemic disruptions which have been gathering momentum for years
    are around the corner. If we plan ahead, environmental, social
    justice, and evolutionary culture-building networks can
    ​turn
      disruption
    ​s​
      into teachable moments and organizing opportunities.

​​​SNAPSHOT OF THE OIL STORY: A recent  HSBC Bank report (below) warned
private clients that the long-term plateau in worldwide oil production
ends in 2017. This will be followed by production decline of 5-7% a
year. Replacement by new production is doubtful. These shortfalls in oil
production will have complex, serious economic impacts. In other words,
fossil fuel supplies are much more limited than we’ve been told. Despite
industry PR and a temporary supply glut of unconventional (mostly
fracked) oil and gas, over 80% of the world’s conventional oil
production has already peaked and is now in decline. Soon,
unconventional oil supplies will no longer be able to hide shortfalls in
conventional oil production.

Stay informed. Help Usher in a Postcarbon World:

  * INSURGE intelligence:http://bit.ly/2ke9YAo <http://bit.ly/2ke9YAo>
  * Alternet: http://bit.ly/2iOtjI7 <http://bit.ly/2iOtjI7>
  * Richard Heinberg - Peak Oil President?:http://bit.ly/2iOhiCE
    <http://bit.ly/2iOhiCE>
  * HSBC Peak Oil Report: http://bit.ly/2jSJxiT

  * Build local environmental and economic resilience through inclusive
    movements that understand the intersectionality of class, gender,
    race, ethnicity, and deep self-awareness. Intentional _localization_
    of production and all life-sustaining activity is key to our future
    thriving. This important work is joyous when done in community.
    There are many pathways toward greater local self-reliance and
    resilience. Here are a few networks and movements:
      o Solidarity Economy:
          + Grassroots Economic Organizing (GEO): http://www.geo.coop/
          + Mid-Atlantic Transition Hub (MATH): http://bit.ly/1RANZZn
          + Mutual Aid Networks (MAN): http://www.mutualaidnetwork.org/
            <http://www.mutualaidnetwork.org/>
          + Timebanking: http://timebanks.org/,
            https://www.hourworld.org/ <https://www.hourworld.org/>,
          + New Economy Coalition (NEC): http://neweconomy.net/
      o Strong Towns: strongtowns.org <http://strongtowns.org/>
      o Eco-districts: https://ecodistricts.org/
      o Participatory Budgeting: https://www.participatorybudgeting.org
        <https://www.participatorybudgeting.org/>/
      o Agroecology
        http://www.groundswellinternational.org/how-we-work/agroecological-farming/
        <http://www.groundswellinternational.org/how-we-work/agroecological-farming/>
      o Permaculture: http://northeastpermaculture.org/
        <http://northeastpermaculture.org/>
      o Climate Action Network: http://www.usclimatenetwork.org/
        <http://www.usclimatenetwork.org/>
      o Intentional Communities: http://www.ic.org/ <http://www.ic.org/>

*
Let's bring our most resourceful selves to these first, pivotal 100 days...​
*

/*Facilitating Regional Transition to Resilience*/
*/
/*

    Pamela Boyce Simms: The Mid-Atlantic Transition Hub (MATH) -
    transition.midatlantic.hub at gmail.com
    <mailto:transition.midatlantic.hub at gmail.com>

    Dan Miner: The New York City Transition Hub -
    transition.nyc.hub at gmail.com <mailto:transition.nyc.hub at gmail.com>

<http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-Great-Transition/>

_The Great *T*ransition
<http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-Great-Transition/>_is a systemic
framework for understanding how we might hospice outworn ways of living
that no longer serve us and the Earth, and give birth to an emergent,
more compassionate and resilient future. A broad spectrum of grassroots,
citizen-led, community initiatives sustain the movement toward the
Great/*T*/ransition against the backdrop of climate change, resource
depletion, and economic instability. Purposeful groups of friends and
neighbors mitigate these converging global crises by engaging their
communities in environmental education and actions that increase local
self-reliance and resilience. They catalyze relocalization of economies
and low carbon lifestyles by innovating, networking, collaborating, and
replicating proven strategies, respecting the deep, fractal patterns of
nature, and diverse cultures in their localities. “Transitioners” work
with deliberation to create a fulfilling and inspiring local way of life
that can withstand the shocks of rapidly shifting global systems.

*//*