[OSList] Research OST

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Feb 23 09:04:45 PST 2017

One of the questions I find myself asking of various "researchers," -- What,
exactly, are you looking at?

Open Space has wandered and permutated globally, and taken 30+ years doing
that. So lots of times the "Open Space" people say they are looking at
(researching) has nothing to do with anything that I might call OST.
Needless to say I don't own, but I did coin the phrase -- and arguably, I've
spent more time fussing with OST than anybody else. Alternatives,
Variations, Permutations are not wrong, bad, or immoral -- but are not OST.
And in research "facts" do matter. Despite our current (US) administration.
So for me, if you a going to do research on Open Space Technology (OST) --
it  really needs to be done "by the book." The Book being, "Open Space
Technology: A User's Guide 3rd Edition (Berrett- Koehler, 2008)" I might
consider that the "Lab Book."

The experimental procedure is clearly laid out.

The "event" will be convened around an issue people seriously care about
(Real issue - not pretend, made up, chosen at random).

All participants will come in response to a Real Invitation. One they can
refuse. No coercion. All are present because they choose to be there.

Once present, participants will be invited to sit in a circle, create a
bulletin board of the issues they care about, and the open a market place to
make/confirm the times and places of meeting.

The Facilitator will be present only at the beginning (1st 15 min.) and
appear again only at the end (of the day or program). In other words, The
facilitator will NEVER intervene. NEVER. Picking up coffee cups is
appropriate. Otherwise, being "present and invisible" -- is the rule.

Anything else... "Variants, Twists, Tweaks -- whatever ... is not OST. Could
be great. May be fantastic. But it ain't OST.

And when it comes to "results" the "researcher" might check "Wave Rider:
Leadership for High Performance in a Self Organizing World." That would be
my best effort at a Final Report for the 30 year experiment. Which doesn't
make it perfect, right or anything special. But it might be a place to
start.

Harrison

Winter Address
7808 River Falls Dr.