[OSList] OS and Planning

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Feb 19 01:44:37 PST 2017

Harrison mentions the "Rockport Shoes" story several times in his books,
retelling it with specific twists as is appropriate for a real story
teller...  under various headings:

--- "Getting the Whole System in the Room"  (pages 132-133 in the 3rd
addition of the Users Guide)
--- "Appearance of the Stranger" (pages 128-130 in Expanding Our Now)
--- "Who should be Invited" (pages 153-155 in Wave Rider)

Planning, in the sense of carefully looking at various aspects that
might be important to a really productive event, is perhaps more
important than the Planning Part at the end of the event itself.

In my practice I have not seen stuff surface in the Planning Part
(almost always done in the format of an "Action Space") that had not
"announced" itself in the breakout sessions/report sheets in some way.

What I do run into regularly - and now always look for - are
participants that tell me how wonderful an Open Space was that they
attended (often years ago) and then proceed telling me what happend
after the event. Its usually about stuff that action was taken on
successfully which from the point of view of the participant came out of
the gathering but did not find its way into the notes or the action
steps... which are cluttering up my basement.

How is that?

Greetings from a sunny winter day in Berlin
mmp