[OSList] OS and Planning

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Feb 17 07:38:36 PST 2017

Eina wrote: thanks Harrison, could you give (or others) an example for this
sort of Planning in OS?" I suggested she put the question online, but she
seems to be having some difficulty. So I do it myself.

I can think of many examples, but two have some write up - The first one is
Rockport Shoes where the whole corporation was involved in a 2 day open
space on the corporate future. The New York Times did a nice full page story
which you can reach in their archives. What  caught my attention was not the
plan produced but the positive actions that took place before the 1st day of
Open Space had concluded. In a word the merger of planning/doing.
Specifically, one group created a whole new product with manufacturing space
reserved, finance available, marketing plan in place - with an estimated ROI
of $25,000,000. At the same time another group did a fix to the inventory
system with a net saving of $4,000,000. In short $29,000,000 added to the
bottom line - which represented a 10% increase. Not bad for the first day!
And the significant thing for me was that there wasn't a hair's breadth
between planning and doing. Talk about reducing "time to market."

The second example was the AT&T Olympic pavilion. The final product was the
building design - which was complete in two days. No planning for the
Design. You can find descriptions of this in my book "Wave Rider" - and a
shorter whirl in my TEDX talk "Dancing with Shiva" which you can find on
YouTube.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Dr.