[OSList] Open Space in Charlottesville

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Aug 31 14:03:05 PDT 2017

Harrison, thank you so much for the tips and the vote of confidence from
afar.  I got in touch with Kai for the next event if/when that happens.

Michael, I very much appreciate your insight about making the
responsibility for security a shared one.  I think telling white
nationalists that they are welcome here will make them less defensive and
more agreeable, but I don't know; we had some republican operatives and
liberal activists but no one on the fringe on either side.

The reason I called this openspace-ish is that the process deviated from a
"by-the-book" approach.  We started planning six days ago, got 50 people to
sign up by this morning, and 40 showed up.  We're taking an iterative
approach and we wanted to put a quick "win" on the board.  Here's a photo
of part of our opening circle
<http://qiqochat.com/assets/cville-next-steps.jpg> (half the people are
off-camera, with the opening circle being three levels deep at some points
to accommodate the square shape of the room).

We're going to do this in-person again with just leaders of the activist
groups, since there are a lot of duplication & wheels spinning but not much
traction.  And we're going to do it online using Zoom + Qiqo for breakout
rooms.

I had a co-facilitator for this one (Jessica) who gave the intro and
conducted a centering exercise since she's a yoga instructor.  I wanted to
teach her a process that works for her, since I'm moving out of state in a
few months, and I hope she can take this and run with it.

I wish there was another word for "ground rules", but they did the trick if
presented with enthusiasm.  I know that OST has "rules" and a "law".  In
some ways it seems a bit inconsistent from empowering the participants
because the rules come from an unknown source (from the perspective of the
participants).

I couldn't resist walking around with "5 min remaining" signs when sessions
were going to end.  I didn't have confidence that the group would move on
and make space for the next discussion without being prodded.  I wish I
didn't have to do that.  Maybe I don't.  The agenda wall was in the best
spot in the room, but there wasn't enough space for everyone to look at the
next sessions, so I read the sessions to the four corners of the room right
as their previous sessions were ending.  This was more efficient so that
they could know which ones they wanted to attend.  We had four breakout
rooms outside the main room, and my co-host read the new session topics to
those folks.

I'm still processing it all.  It was lots of fun.  These topics of race are
hard as we all know, and no one got upset.  People appreciated the
participant-driven nature of this OS-ish event.

Lucas

​Schedule & Script

8:30am: Opening

[JESSICA]

Good morning and welcome, everyone.  My name is Jessica Glendinning.

[LUCAS]

And my name is Lucas Cioffi.

[JESSICA - 3 min]

First, thank you for joining us this morning. We know how full your lives
are, and we want to express our gratitude for your presence here this
morning -- that you have come together to think, discuss, innovate, and
collaborate.

(tiny pause)

The events of August 12th left a deep mark on Charlottesville. Over the
past 3 weeks, we’ve been a nationally trending hashtag and at the center of
divisive political commentary. And yes, our name has been tarnished. But
more importantly, there are deeper issues within our community that have
been pushed to the surface -- issues of racism and inequality that are
woven into the history of the city (and the country) we call home.

Our community is beginning to heal, and some of our greatest possibilities
still lie ahead -- and we find ourselves with a window of opportunity for a
second act. To come together as a community united, and to take action to
create more equitable and economically viable conditions for every member
of our community. Conditions that work for all of our citizens, across the
political spectrum and the current racial divides.

And while we’re focusing on the issues facing our community, keep in mind
that the solutions we discover may turn out to be globally applicable. Our
country is in a spiraling cycle of racial violence. What happened here is a
preview of what could happen on the streets of other cities in the months
ahead.  We have an opportunity to try to change that by doing something
unexpected and bold, that changes the narrative as a result.

Piece of cake, right? ;)

But in all seriousness - and despite the enormity of the task ahead - if
there’s one group that can think outside the box and find creative
solutions to any obstacle, it’s the tech community. Every day, our industry
tackles solving some of the world’s most pressing problems.

As we get started today, let’s talk about a few key qualities that are
necessary for an event like this: we need vision, we need passion, and we
also need to be grounded in what’s practical. That’s why we invited the
leaders of ten local civic and activist groups from across the political
spectrum to be here with us today -- they are here to help inform our
discussions as to the day-to-day realities of the diverse community
populations we seek to serve. We would like to thank them for being here.

Without further ado, let’s get started!

We’ll go around the room for brief introductions, so that everyone can
start to put names with faces. Please share your name, and one sentence
about who you are or what inspired you to join us today.

And for those of you joining us online, please add your name and intro to
the chat and Lucas will read it to the group at the end of in-person
introductions.

I’ll get us started.

“I’m Jessica Glendinning. I’m a social entrepreneur, writer, and yoga
teacher -- and I’m here because I believe that together, we are capable of
great things.”

[GROUP INTROS - 10 min]

[LUCAS - 1 min]

[Read online intros]

And wrapping up our introductions, I’m Lucas Cioffi...

[LUCAS - 3 min]

This is a participant-driven event, and it will be what we all make of it.

Our job as facilitators is to help you be at your best and then to get out
of the way.

Some ground rules for all of us to keep in mind.

These are also posted on the wall:

   -

   Everyone is welcome here, and we mean everyone.
   -

   All ideas are welcome here, and we mean all ideas.
   -

   Assume good intention.
   -

   This is a safe space to express any idea, even ones which are tough to
   hear, as long as you are coming from a place of respect.
   -

   On the flip side, if you hear something that triggers you, do your best
   to assume that the other person is coming from a place of respect.
   -

   Think about who is not in the room and speak for them if you can.  The
   best solutions are the ones that work for the most people.

Let’s think big today.  We have the ear of the national media for just
another few weeks, maybe less.  What are the boldest ideas that can make
the most of that opportunity?  Not every idea has to be practical.  Take a
risk.  Imagine something new.  If it’s not practical it may lead you to
something that is.

Can you think of a solution that will help our community reach across the
aisle, away from left-right polarization, and beyond racial divides?  What
bold ideas can bind us together stronger than the forces that aim to pull
us apart?

We know that the topics here are weighty and we could spend months just
digging into the root causes.  So for today, let’s acknowledge the past
(and that the past is still present), but let’s spend most of our time
looking forward.

As we prepare for this morning’s discussions, remember that today is about
thinking differently -- so let’s pause for just a moment and try something
different to help us each remember why we are here. I’ll hand things back
to Jessica for a brief exercise that may be new and different to most of
us.

[JESSICA, SOMATIC EXERCISE -- 5 min]

Centering in 4 directions

Bring attention to the body. Then to the breath.

Bring attention to two inches below the belly button. Center of gravity.

   1.

   Imagine a vertical line through the body. Relax from top of head down to
   feet, and stand tall from ground up to the sky.
   2.

   Imagine a horizontal line across the body. Shoulders, hips.
   3.

   Feel the space behind you. And in front of you.
   4.

   Center in your purpose. What you’re committed to. Why you’re here today.

[when finished, Jessica will look at Lucas and nod to acknowledge the end
of the exercise]

[LUCAS - 3 min]

Here’s a quick overview of how this morning is organized.

You see over there an open agenda wall.  Across the top, you see six
discussion spaces: the four corners of this room, Conference Room 1, and
Conference Room 2.  Going down the left side, you see three rounds of
discussion.  Each round lasts 40 minutes with a 5-minute break in between.

There will be a 15-minute closing session at the end -- if you’re able,
please stick around for the closing session, since we’ll be talking about
next steps.

If you want remote participants to be able to join your session, then
please schedule your session in one of those two conference rooms.

In a moment, each of us will have the opportunity to post a session topic.
If you have an idea for a session, you’ll walk to the center of the circle,
pick up a piece of paper and a marker.  Write the discussion topic and your
name.  Announce it, and then post it on the agenda wall. We’ve scheduled
about 10 minutes for topics to be posted, to help keep the process moving.

All you need to propose a session is a good question.  You don’t need the
answers.

And if you don’t have any specific ideas, that’s totally okay. As you
participate in discussions around the topics that others propose, that’s
where the magic will happen.

Let’s give everyone a moment to think about what sessions they want to
propose before we get started.

(pause for a minute)

Ok, when you’re ready, please go ahead and write down your session topic
and then announce it.

[TOPIC ANNOUNCEMENTS - 10 min]

[People start announcing and posting their topics on the wall]

[LUCAS]

Remember, this is your event, and we only have a few hours to work with. You
won’t see us dropping by to remind you of how much time is left or the need
to wrap up.  If your conversation is running long, please take it to the
cafe area, out of respect for the people who are participating in the next
session in that space.

Open space has the law of two feet, which means that if you suddenly think
that you’d rather be in a different conversation, you are highly encouraged
to get up and go.  No explanation is necessary.  It’s important that you
make the most of your time, so that’s why you’re encouraged to move.

Feel free to hop between sessions, just hang out in the hallway, or even
take a walk outside alone or with someone else.

If your session draws more than five people, we encourage you to break it
into two groups (at least for the first 20 minutes).  This lets everyone
get more engaged.  After 20 minutes you can combine the two groups to see
what different thoughts there were in each.

Whenever possible, please take good notes for those who could not attend.
 We expect that many people across the community will want to organize
around your ideas and help you implement them.

Are there any questions?

(pause; Lucas will answer)

Ok, the session topics are posted.  Let’s make today count.

9:10am: Breakout Round 1

9:45am: Breakout Round 2

10:30am: Breakout Round 3

11:15am: Closing