[OSList] Needed: Open Space Success stories for city planning

Kai Degner via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 21 05:18:53 PDT 2017

Hi Catherine-

The list is rich with applications.  For my small part, I've had some
success with 20+ OSTs held while being a local elected official in
Harrisonburg, VA (mayor and then council-member, 8 years).

Short video of the first one: HarrisonburgSummits.com - Open Space Meetings
in ... - YouTube
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfw_i1pejVAhXLJCYKHZrpCJgQtwIILTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcPEIM4on648&usg=AFQjCNEzUBNQlGEPFTnXgl-uJPW2ncALcg>
(There are more videos from of these "summits" on the YouTube channel)

Also, this is a 30-min training I put together to share with others how I
use OST in this way (main focus is how to get people to show up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIfCtj22xo

Note: 1) I avoided making these explicitly about influencing local policy,
and 2) they were not integrated as "official" events convened by the city.
Nevertheless, there were countless outcomes (relationships, info shared,
"actions", etc).

In the past, I'm been a consultant to use OST for a regional "Hunger and
Housing Summit" for a Planning District Commission; in the future (Sept
23), I'm assisting the City of Charlotte use OST for a day-long Saturday
event that brings together their neighborhood coalitions (
http://charlottenc.gov/HNS/Pages/NEX.aspx).

Thanks!

Kai

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Catherine Pfaehler via OSList <

> Dear OS community
>
> A potential sponsor is asking for Open Space success stories in the field
> of
> city planning, specifically: outdoor meeting spaces/areas in neighbourhoods
> - places where people like to come and meet, chat, be.
>
> Please share your city planning events and successes with me or point me to
> them on your websites.
>
> Best regards and many thanks already, Catherine
>
> Catherine Pfaehler
> Bümplizstrasse 84
> CH - 3018 Bern
> +41-(0)31-558 06 81