[OSList] Safety

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 21 11:16:12 PDT 2016

Dear People(s) of Open Space,

What is the importance of safety? What, if any, work is needed in the
"pre-work" to help ensure safety?

It seems that safety is doomed if the "givens" are that the people in
the organization must either be silent or agree with the "powers that
be" on everything.

I'm seeing two aspects to this. At one level, systemic oppression (such
as explicitly killing, imprisoning, or otherwise effectively punishing
dissent) clearly would shut down any opening in an open space.

And at another level, safety is something we can be responsible in
ourselves. With enough passion and courage, we can take responsibility
for own safety. And also, it can be easy just to stay silent, or not to
look beyond the smallness of our comfort zone because of the lenses we
look through. And then we won't even try something out of fear, when
something powerful could have been a result of us taking a small step
(or a small series of steps to the center of the circle).

What do you all think about safety, and helping to encourage people to
source their own safety, as well as working with the "powers that be" to
help ensure some level of safety?

     Thanks!
     Harold

P.S. I did find one interesting post about this in the archives from the
late Father Brian Bainbridge.
http://www.mail-archive.com/oslist@lists.openspacetech.org/msg01333.html

--
Harold Shinsato