[OSList] [GC] Time challenge - multiple short OSTs? (x-posted OS/GC-lists)

D.L. Gottlieb via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Sep 16 06:56:38 PDT 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thanks so much for sharing and for your thoughts and questions.  This project just sounds really powerful and it’s good to hear how it continues.

I wanted to share a few thoughts from my experience working in communities who feel for whatever reason, that 3 hours of Open Space is all they can manage at the moment.  I was very leary of doing this as well however I have found that in some cases, particularly in communities where people are in a sense “volunteering their time” this can be quite powerful.  Some of the things I have found are:

1. Repeating the event in the same place (so doing 2 3 hour OST’s in the same community/space) is a great way to add depth.  Interestingly the first event has often seemed superficial or the phenomenon I have seen is in these first events people have put up many topics, then not followed up on them and sometimes not even given time to write reports.  Then at the second one, even with  many different people, there seems to be a shift to a more concentrated and focussed OST with great depth.  I have seen this now several times and been fascinated by that phenomenon.    So if at all possible to have 2x in the same place that may be useful for getting to the deeper results and actions.

2. I wonder if they can concede to 3hrs and 30 minutes for the event?  I have seen that giving an hour for each topic can help both in quality of reporting and in quality of discussion, but I have also done events in 3 hours with a similar design that you propose and that does work.

Finally, I have been personally really surprised by watching people working in very short OST’s in community settings like this.  Often I have had a lot of soul searching if I would do it and even if I would call it OST, however my clients in several places convinced me that this was indeed something to try.  I have been deeply surprised at how short events like this, when done fully, with prep meetings and the full commitment of the facilitator can bring results and depth that blew me away.  I am also aware that in all these cases the OST’s were just starting points of more meeting in a similar way and more moments of Open Space Technology that grow from it.  So I think your design is really powerful in bringing that in especially with the follow-up.

With love,

Doris