[OSList] OLpening Space for Civil Conversation

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Nov 29 14:20:22 PST 2016

Thank you Elwin!

ho

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

301-365-2093

Summer Address

189 Beaucauire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207 763-3261

Websites

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com

From: OSList [mailto:oslist-bounces at lists.openspacetech.org] On Behalf Of Elwin and Joan via OSList
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:52 PM
To: 'World wide Open Space Technology email list'
Subject: Re: [OSList] OLpening Space for Civil Conversation

Harrison promoted this summary of my Open Space engagements in Portland CT.

At the start, I sent  6 or 8 local folks an invitation to meet at my farmhouse to discuss the "future" of our town, population 9,500. Twenty two people showed up.

We talked, or should I say I talked, for a good two hours. Lots of concerns were expressed. At the end, I invited them to a second meeting.  It was at that meeting that I promoted Open Space Technology as a means of getting something done. When they left, I was certain none were "believers".

Nonetheless, I summoned all my courage and made an appointment with our Mayor.  I explained the gatherings I hosted and asked for use of the largest room in town so that I could facilitate an Open Space focused on the town's planning issues. To my surprise and delight, I was given a school gymnasium.

I wrote an invitation for the weekly newspaper and 55 people attended. It was a classic, "by the book", OST.

I write this 2 1/2 years later and can report that the issues discussed at that OST are the Town's major development successes.  The OST gave birth to citizen action committees that 1) reclaimed an abandon railroad bed for use as a walking trail, 2) successfully lobbied the Town to establish a "Complete Streets" policy, 3) enhanced the Town's Riverfront Park with a concert pavilion, toilets, and picnic area, 4) successfully developed a $6 million recreation complex, and 5) provided a mixed-use, Town Centered, plan for economic development.

Just as significant, many OST attendees now serve as commissioners on Town boards and commissions including Planning and Zoning, and Economic Development.

I am currently serving as Chairmen of the Economic Development Commission. Last year I held several town-wide public meetings to gain input for the Town Center project. Every one of those meetings was well attended (more than 100 people) and  ALL were conducted using a circle of chairs. It is no surprise that people left those meetings with a sense of having contributed to the outcome. There's a real possibility that down the road OST will become the Town's standard for public engagement.

Elwin Guild

Future Development International

Portland, CT

  _____