[OSList] Opening Space for Listening, after the US election

Judith-Kate Friedman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 18 09:56:56 PST 2016

Hi Lucas,

I also wonder if you might ally with those in your area who are involved in "listening projects," the "transition town" movements and "collective impact" groups all of which have an inclusive intent to create respectful spaces between people who bring diverse viewpoints or have divergent or simply different roles in a community.

Two things that would draw me to attend the kind of town hall you envisioned (and offered):

1) trust that there is indeed a skilled facilitation "container" so that fairness and kindness can be brought to the fore amidst truly free speech; "ground rules" create a "safe harbor."

The result of the election shows how many had not been open about their voting plans - so that might be a guide to how much is hidden or how defended people feel.

2) imho - this is a good time for face to face gatherings and building connections between neighbors in real time.

As useful and essential as online forums and support networks  can be (I'm active in several that are life changing for me) - there's no substitute for human proximity.

And a third thought:
starting small is fine.

Creating space for two people to have peaceful thoughtful exchange who might otherwise rage against, avoid or ignore each other, is a real victory.

One of my current teachers began with half a dozen women in her living room and now connects with 1000 at a time online making beautiful use of technology.

It grew slowly or slowly enough to retain original authenticity and a certain approach that retains intimacy (remarkably, given the numbers.) long with this, of course, to allow the facilitator to grow her skill, optimally - or perhaps intrinsically -  at the same pace as word of mouth referrals. :)

Wishing you the best in your efforts!

Judith-Kate Friedman
Songwriting Works Educational Foundation
Port Townsend, WA, U.S.

Sent from my iPhone please forgive typoz.