[OSList] The Art of Collaboration / Collaboratory (because Hello and a question is Maria's question)

Lisa Heft - via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed May 25 07:54:35 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues - I have adjusted the title of this email because Maria’s question is slightly different from the content below - though yes, she is in Donostia and may be exploring her question with others face-to-face during these collaborative experiences.

Kaixo (hello) Xenki ! !
And a besarkada! (hug - am I correct?)
(in Basque language / Euskara)

Now that I have met you amazing folks and shared learning experiences with some of you in the Open Space Learning Workshop in Donostia and our conversations in the OSELE, I miss you. It is good to see you Maria, Xenki and others here on the OSLIST !

Sadly, I will not be in Donostia for these days of workshops and conversations, but I will be with you all in spirit.

It is my understanding that Ana Rubio and Beatrice will be doing Open Space for whatever in these dates may turn out to be an Open Space event.
In the spirit of collaboration, folks on this list - perhaps you may wish to contact them to find out their plans.

arubio at iifac.org    and     bbriggs at iifac.org

The reason that I myself am not facilitating is that I want to support first-language capacity - the Open Space event open to the public will as I understand it be in Spanish as its first language. So I wanted to support someone with full-on skills as an experienced Open Space facilitator who -also- had as their first-language (or perhaps 2nd, in the case of some people who are Basque), Spanish. I have lots of experience in facilitation and in OS - but I am not first-language Spanish, though I speak Spanish. It is cultural as much as about words.

So: If you help Ana and Bea do what they may ultimately do with Open Space, that may be something you may wish to support and include yourselves in, my friends. An event that may be facilitated in Spanish. I have supported many colleagues who facilitate in not-my-language, and it is really fun. In Open Space, you can still see and feel what is going on and you can still help the facilitator.  I especially remember an OS all in Russian where I helped support our colleague Elena Marchuk. Amazing what you can feel and sense and of course as we know, you can hold space.

The other reason I could not attend is resources - there was not a way for me to afford coming back to Spain - I do not have an organization or other source of resourcing - I am self-resourced. So perhaps some of you who are closer geographically can go to fabulous (really really fabulous) Donostia with the funding you or some organization that supports you can offer.

So: I support you from afar, Xenki and CoLaborators ! !

I have not heard if there is yet a clear objective and desired outcome for the Open Space parts, if OS will indeed be the process that is analyzed to be the right fit for time and task and such - or if there has yet been found a physical site for that, what about outreach for it, schedules and other interconnected elements that support design and process. I understand that things are self-organizing and if this is still so, and still in process, it might be yet another reason to lend your support to Ana and Bea - to find out those things together.

There is as I understand it also a sort of organic designing-it-together element to these dates, with the addition of some workshops and some different gatherings. And of course there is the continuing professional and cultural learning of being with diverse colleagues passionate about dialogue and discussing these things over local food and beverage, as well. I will be with you in spirit for that part, as well… ;o)

Abrazos,
Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator