[OSList] os principles in arabic

yaari pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon May 2 03:04:35 PDT 2016

dear Open Space colleagues,

same same but different … i had the pleasure to facilitate another Open Space in the university context on the same issue "Refugees Welcome …" like two weeks ago. it came to be the springtime meeting of the nationwide university-network "education via responsibility" who forward the field of service-learning. some 80 doctores, professors and assistants met by the theme "Refugees Welcome! Aufbruch und Wandel an den Hochschulen?" (roughly: "Refugees Welcome! Awakening and Transition at the Universities?"). one day Open Space and half-a -day action-planning. facilitating and observing the two events on the same issue this one went quite different. it took place during the week (not at the week-end) which brought different dynamics. the participants came in a working-context not during their free-time. they came from all over germany not from a local area. no refugees were invited … but it sure went fine!
two really funny things happened … i had a briefing with the sponsors the day before the event for i was uncomfortable since we never met as a whole group before due to the net-work constellation and i did not want them to become the worst space-invaders … i coached them about the odds and challenges during the introduction etc. also mentioning how we (os-team) react if an issue falls off the bulletin-wall … the first issue that was posted actually did fall! … had me smiling like a pancake! no refugees were invited but everywhere on the campus stand-up displays announced the event … two refugees who passed by did feel welcome and joined us. they had clear issues and quite a few experts giving them the most profound consultation. i love it!
… all the best, yaari

On 21.04.2016, at 11:33, yaari pannwitz via OSList wrote:

> Dear Lisa, dear Carol, dear Juliane, dear all,
> thank you for your quick and supporting response. wow, i was surprised how rapid your mails came.
> i had the pleasure to be invited to facilitate an one-and-a-half day open space for the "university of art and design, burg giebichenstein" in halle, saxony-anhalt.
> about 56 participants showed up for the first day with the theme "Let´s … Hello! Entkommen, Ankommen, Willkomenn gestalten." (sth like Let´s  … Hello! Shaping Escape, Arrival, Welcome.") … an open space initiated by students to discuss, contribute, getting involved and having a local stake in the so called "refugee crises" we are facing in europe nowadays.
> setting-up the event i got to know that several refugees signed up to participate and thought a few translations into arabic could be beneficial besides one person capable of translating into arabic.
> … well, not so many refugees showed up, and those who did, spoke either german or english, much better than i do …
> the participants came up with something like 26 issues (such as: how can integration be pleasurable; breaking the law; understanding arrival; enabling refugees to join the art studies; how to deal with exclusion; how to contribute … etc.). on the second day (action-planning) 13 concrete actions got set in motion (such as: fun raising; digital storytelling; platform for projects; installing a project-room; a survey on racial profiling …) … i found most of the issues and actions not very surprising but observed and enjoyed an increasingly pleasant atmosphere of communication, interaction, commitment and responsibility.
> the whole thing was a small-big jubilee for myself, too … for being the 60th open space i facilitated … looking forward to all those to come.
> hug
> yaari

yaari pannwitz
015771987461