[OSList] OpenSpace Agility: How Agile can be successful. First Workshop in Germany, June from 13th to 15th

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Mar 8 08:29:43 PST 2016

Hi Doug,
Great to hear from you. I remember that we had follow on conversations after the OST training...and about 20 years have passed since. I have continued my exploration of what works and what doesn't work regarding what it takes to make the most of the outcomes of an OST meeting or other participatory meetings in organizations in ways that make a long term difference. I continue to experience that well planned and facilitated meetings are a catalyst for change, including transformative change in organizations. The results in this regard, however, are often not sustainable if other factors aren't taken into consideration. The primary factor, as you also note, is about leadership. It is not possible to share all that I have had the great privilege of learning and experiencing regarding this quest and exploration. I can share a few key points for now.

1. In the early 90's from my vantage point as the head staff of a multi-service social and health agency, I came to understand early that with repeated use of OST, we uncovered what is exists in every organization under the surface...the Open Space Organization.

2. We soon shifted to realizing that the benefit was gained, not from reaching outside of ourselves to something external, but to pulling off as many barriers as we could to getting to this Open Space Organization. We accepted the perspective that we needed to be aware of this existent organization, more conscious of its existence. I shifted the name to Conscious Open Space Organization.

3. Formal leaders who had the courage to lead with higher degrees of participation, more use of OST and in our case Whole Person Process Facilitated meetings discovered something that started to become counter-productive. The people within their organizations perceived that everything was meant to be open space, using the law of mobility (two feet) without the accompanying sense of responsibility to the results of the organization. We had not intended to convey that this was so as there are always givens, the formal leaders are held accountable for the performance of the organization either for their shareholders or in the public eye. We shifted the name to Genuine Contact Organization as an attempt to solve this, abandoning the words 'open space' in the title. Organizations that develop themselves certainly don't identify themselves as Genuine Contact organizations. There is no need. The title simply helps us to convey that there is a model, a system, a process, ingredients that need to be paid attention to. I am happy to say that there are an increasing number of leaders with the courage to lead differently and to embrace high levels of participation.

4. The key ingredient is always leadership, how it is carried out, how it is perceived. People in general still mix up 'management' with 'leadership', yet they are very different functions. I am referring to leadership. In the past few years, and covered in my first book The Genuine Contact Way: Nourishing a Culture of Leadership, I have focused on declaring a new leadership paradigm 'leading so people will lead' and its accompanying requirement to develop the skills, knowledge and capacity to 'nourish a culture of leadership'. Leadership gets perceived as a verb, an action, and not limited to a position.

5. For those interested in the longer term benefits of efforts made with OST, Agile, other methods, it is important to think beyond self organizing. The best that I can explain this is that formal leadership needs support to expand its leadership capacity for the additional skills and competencies needed while handling the paradox of high participation plus their personal accountability for performance. The people engaged in long term self organizing models of working (not just a meeting or two) ultimately need to wrestle with their perspectives of leadership, how to claim their personal leadership, how to work with it, and how to participate in nourishing a culture of leadership.

6. It turns out that 'leadership' is a very emotional topic...I discovered this at every leadership workshop I carried out in the past while. It is a topic seldom discussed in organizations including in families.

7. I am very passionate about leadership development being some of the most important work on the planet at this time. For those of us who love methods like OST, it is a worthy and important addition to getting more out of our work with these methods because we are on to something more important with these methods than we might currently understand.

It is good to hear your perspective that Agile methods are complementary to Open Space Technology. I am understanding that the level of how complimentary they are to each other also depends on the perspective, attitude, etc of the persons who facilitate the combination of the methods, the depth of their understanding and commitment to the Agile Manifesto principles, and their depth and understanding of the essence of Open Space Technology as framed by the 5 principles, the one law. It seems to me that this would take some substantial understanding, self awareness, and of course that great feat of embracing the ego and then asking the ego to sit in the back seat of the car instead of being the driver.

Warmly,
Birgitt