[OSList] OpenSpace Agility: How Agile can be successful. First Workshop in Germany, June from 13th to 15th

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Mar 7 07:19:03 PST 2016

Dear Rolf, Mark and Leslie,

Thank you for showing up and participating in my invitation to explore, converse, and be curious. I am appreciative of all efforts that come from the same essence, and with the vision of providing options for humanity to choose a more life nurturing way to accomplish productivity and results.

My own experimentation even before I learned OST in 1992, was my quest to understand what it took to accomplish a successful organizational transformation. At the time I was responsible for a multi-service social service agency that eventually morphed itself into a social and health service agency. I had a fantastic Board of Directors that gave me the mandate to accomplish an organizational transformation as they had merged three organizations together and it was not going so well as one entity…as so often happens with mergers of former competitors. We made good progress from 1986 to 1992, but couldn’t accomplish the transformation that would shift us from fragmentation to connectedness. When I brought OST back into the organization, and added it to what we had already been working on, OST became the turning point we needed.

We were among the first, if not the first, to take the original 2 ½ day OST meeting and experiment with a four hour meeting. Great results emerged. We had a template for the forms for the discussion groups to include next steps and future action. After a few OST meetings that I felt so excited about…because they do work in wonderful ways…we ran into problems. The outcomes from the meetings and the reality of our day to day business ran into each other. I developed another method Whole Person Process Facilitation (WPPF) to complement OST, taking a lot of care and experimentation to verify that it was cross culturally relevant, and that it was rooted in the same essence and principles as OST so that using both methods had a congruency. We use WPPF for meetings with leaders/sponsors for planning, we use it for storytelling and other preliminary work before the OST meeting, and we use it for follow up meetings after the OST…for sponsors/leaders to debrief after the OST (they are sometimes overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of what was generated in the OST as it supersedes their expectations), and we use it for some peer to peer accountability meetings in the months that follow the OST meeting.

I have learned over time the critical role of the leaders…they open the space in their organizations for highly participatory meetings and I respect their courage. They need special support before and after these meetings as they are traversing into unknown territory, into more expanded possibility thinking, and they also discover arenas in which they personally need more capacity development to sustain leading a flexible, agile, and emergent organization.

And some years ago, after many years of working with WPPF and OST meetings in tandem with each other, our team made had an experience that left us unsatisfied. We were engaged in designing and facilitating a five day process. We had a mixture of presentation in the mornings, followed by either a WPPF or an OST meeting for the afternoon. Some good things happened, yet for us it felt very disjointed. It didn’t have sufficient flow. After analyzing what we experienced, and how our client could have had a better experience, we realized that the five day process as a whole needed a container. We recognized that having OST as the container was not going to work, as some parts of the process needed to be more guided. We experimented with using WPPF as the five day container, into which we set aside different periods in which we would have an OST meeting…usually building in no less than two, and often three OST meetings in a five day period. It worked exceptionally well. We now use WPPF as the container for all of our OST meetings no matter what length, allowing us to create a seamlessness for the people involved, to shift from the OST meeting into prioritizing/action planning, and making the most of what the OST offers for the purpose of the daily life of the business or other organization.

It is my belief that what you are attempting to do with OpenSpace Agility has some parallels to what we were working on over time in our own rich learning and experience journey.

Kind regards,

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams

President & Senior Consultant of Dalar International Consultancy, Inc.

 <http://www.dalarinternational.com/> http://www.dalarinternational.com

Co-founder of the Extraordinary Leadership Network  <http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com/> http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com

Co-founder of the Genuine Contact™program and author of The Genuine Contact Way: Nourishing a Culture of Leadership   <http://www.genuinecontactway.com/> http://www.genuinecontactway.com

Co-owner of the Genuine Contact Co-owners Group Ltd.  <http://www.genuinecontact.net/> http://www.genuinecontact.net

Supporting leadership development for leading in a culture requiring agility and flexibility in a performance environment of constant change.

Leadership development at your own pace? Become a member of the Extraordinary Leadership Network  <http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com/> http://www.extraordinaryleadershipnetwork.com to participate in an online leadership development program designed to increase your leadership skills and capacity.

PO Box 19373, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619

phone: 1-919-522-7750