[OSList] BETTER VERSION: The OSLIST Poetry Contest!

Jeff Aitken via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Jun 23 10:39:29 PDT 2016

Yes to be clear: you may use your five votes for one poem, or distribute
them to two poems, or as many as five poems, as you wish.

Enjoy the poetry!
On Jun 23, 2016 10:28 AM, "Jeff Aitken" <r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com> wrote:

Read these poems! Love these poems. Vote for these poems! By June 30.

(I hope this fixed the format)

The semiannual OSLIST Limited Form Poetry Contest begins now! We have 11
entries in the contest below.

As a member of oslist you have five votes or "virtual sticky dots" to use.
Please reply TO ME only - NOT the oslist - or write rjeffaitken at gmail.com
 with

- the number of the poem.
- the number of dots you are giving that poem.

The contest ends Thursday June 30 at midnight California time. The new Poet
Laureate will be crowned with a virtual laurel of leaves on July 1.

AND (drum roll) the new Laureate will be awarded a copy of Chris Corrigan's
newly beautifully published book The Tao of Open Space. Thanks Chris.

Apologies for any formatting issues. If you sent a poem and it's not here -
let me know asap!

(I offered poems to the celebration but not to the contest. Let our new
Laureate be chosen now! - Jeff)

With a shoutout to our dear departed Ralph Copleman z''l who originated the
Celebration and Contest...

Here are the poems - enjoy!

1:

It was obvious there was pain.

Feelings hurt. Wounds infected.

Hopes, dwindling relentlessly over the horizon called “not today.”

It was the story underneath, finally excavated,

that began to change everything.

2:

圍圓坐  sit around circle
相視識. Look to know each other
取紙筆 take pen n paper
述題旨 describe your theme
選時空 choose a space n time
召人議 invite people to discuss
蜂採蜜 bees keep busy
蝶翩舞 butterfly dances
此即時 now is right time
隨心聚 gather with your heartl
終亦始 end is also start

3:

We are spreading out to the centre,
Unravelling to the core;
We are flowing in the stillness,
Living less being more.

The space it is opening,
The circle spirals in;
The frozen turns to water,
The frown becomes a grin.

4:

Wenn ich sein kann
wer ich bin
kann ich werden
wer ich sein kann

When I can be
who I am
I can become
Who I can be

5:

Moo

We moved
To overcome
Frames
Stale and hardened

We mooed
Crossing over
Grassy fields
Verdant minds

We mowed
Sharp shears
Breaking through
Rigid thoughts

We mooed
As we moved
On mowed
Open spaces

6:

邀集圓坐相視識 Invite to sit a circle. Look to know each other

取紙筆 述題旨Take pen n paper;  describe your theme

擇時空 召人議Choose a space n time; call people to meet

蜂飛蝶舞此即時Bees keep busy  butterfly dances  now is right time

隨心聚散 Gather or leave with your heart
終亦始 end is also start

7:

邀圓環視取紙筆Invite a circle, look around, take a pen and paper

選定時空述題旨Choose a time-space, describe your topic

蜂蝶飛舞此即時 Bees and butterflies are dancing, now is right time

隨心聚散終亦始Gather or leave with your heart, end is also start

8:

We have a right to treat each other well

knowing from the depths of authenticity

yet mysterious beyond human understanding

that good things emerge whenever we do.

What wonder filled constancy!

9:

Life is a subtle affair

in which we do well to notice

that coupled in the swirl of the dance

is the real joy of living in togetherness

amid still feelings of oneness.

10:

there was an old codger from maine
who said open those spaces again