[OSList] who are the right people

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jun 13 17:44:15 PDT 2016

Dear Christopher,

my German version of
"Whoever comes is the right people"
is
"Die da sind, sind genau die Richtigen"
which, at least in German, makes it even more clear that this has
nothing to do with who was invited or who should have attended or
whether this or that system is completely represented.

The point of this "priniple" (in German "Tatsache des Lebens" or "fact
of life",  is simply to focus on who is at the event and to not start,
as many meetings do, with enumerating all the folks that should have
been there but did not come.
That stance just distracts from the possibilities manifest in those who
are present, them are the once with passion and responsibility (if they
are there voluntarily, it helps).

Now, all the stuff about having a broad representation is first of all a
question the sponsor of an activity might have to worry about. Many
approaches that aim at getting solid action and solutions employ complex
organisational development designs to have all "stakeholders" aboard.

Now, OST also is an actionorienting approach but not in the sense that
it focuses primarily at creating projects and solutions.
It focuses primarily at reducing the shackles (controls) placed on the
forces of selforganisation.
And to support that, it suggests five prerequisites to be in place for
the force of selforganisation to unfold more freely.
None of these prerequisites have to do with "representation" or
"particiapation".
There is one of the prerequisites - "high diversity" -  which is often
read as "all sides" or "representing the entire system" and frequently
then leads to declaring OST to be a "democratic" approach "or a
participatory approach".
To me, the force of selforganisation has no idea of what a democratic,
participatory, all-including, whole-system-in-the-room etc approach is.
In fact, selforganisation is a force that has no idea at all... just as
all universal forces.

Seeing it this way I wonder whether the notion of "who all needs to be
in the room to move the system in the direction we want it to go" is
just another one of these control mechanisms in disguise.

As facilitator I try to support an understanding among those that have
come is the right people... simply because they are the only present and
demonstrate through their presence that they have a passion, care and
are ready to do something, whatever that might turn out to be.

By the way, I like the original wording of this "principle" with "is the
right people" rather than "are the right people" because "is" implies
people in the sense of a group/body/tribe/nation...

Thanks for your questions, just get carried away by questions!

Greetings from sleepless in Berlin at 2:43 am local time
mmp