[OSList] The Question

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Jan 30 15:52:34 PST 2016

The original Question is:

"What is Open Space Technology?"

Harold's item (2) is an apparent rephasing: "What are we referencing
when we talk about "Open Space Technology?"

Harold references Chuni Li, quoting her as follows:

[Paraphrasing:] "Open Space Technology is anything that supports the
opening of space."

Googling "the opening of space" yields this, as the topmost search
engine results page:

http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/space_opening_i.htm
If *Space *is the best club in the world, then the *Space Opening
Fiesta* must surely be the best party in the world. The Space Opening
party is considered by most on the island to be the signal that the
clubbing season has started as it forms the jewel of a wild weekend of
parties

On 1/28/16 4:29 PM, Harold Shinsato via OSList wrote:
> There are at least two important questions here:
>
> 1) What are we talking about here when we talk about "Open Space"?
> 2) What are we referencing when we talk about "Open Space Technology"?
>
> As for question 1, we may have walked into this before on the OSList.
> I'm not going to bother to search our archives - I'm trying not to
> work too hard. But this reminds me of Einstein's answer about what is
> space and what is time? They're what we measure with rulers and
> clocks. My Physics 101 teacher in college said this the very first
> day. Then we got over it. (I've can prove Einstein said it about
> clocks - http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/11/q-what-is-time/).
>
> Now about question 2, my sense of this based on something the
> wonderful Chuni Li said at an Open Space Institute U.S. board retreat
> over a year ago. She questioned if it is just the one meeting format
> we're familiar with (sit in a circle, open a marketplace, do
> breakouts, and then come together for a closing circle) or if it is
> anything that supports the opening of space. (My apologies if I've
> corrupted the clarity of what she's said - but it was a big aha moment
> at the meeting for me.)
>
> I'm sure there are other ways, other technology, that can "open
> space". At least if we don't get too hung up on the first question -
> though you got me what we could measure open space with - other than
> maybe the same thing I measure when I move with my two feet. An
> internal experience.
>
>     Harold
>
> On 1/28/16 10:55 AM, Daniel Mezick via OSList wrote:
>> What is Open Space Technology?
>>

> --
> Harold Shinsato
> harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>