[OSList] The Question

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Jan 28 13:29:27 PST 2016

There are at least two important questions here:

1) What are we talking about here when we talk about "Open Space"?
2) What are we referencing when we talk about "Open Space Technology"?

As for question 1, we may have walked into this before on the OSList.
I'm not going to bother to search our archives - I'm trying not to work
too hard. But this reminds me of Einstein's answer about what is space
and what is time? They're what we measure with rulers and clocks. My
Physics 101 teacher in college said this the very first day. Then we got
over it. (I've can prove Einstein said it about clocks -
http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/11/q-what-is-time/).

Now about question 2, my sense of this based on something the wonderful
Chuni Li said at an Open Space Institute U.S. board retreat over a year
ago. She questioned if it is just the one meeting format we're familiar
with (sit in a circle, open a marketplace, do breakouts, and then come
together for a closing circle) or if it is anything that supports the
opening of space. (My apologies if I've corrupted the clarity of what
she's said - but it was a big aha moment at the meeting for me.)

I'm sure there are other ways, other technology, that can "open space".
At least if we don't get too hung up on the first question - though you
got me what we could measure open space with - other than maybe the same
thing I measure when I move with my two feet. An internal experience.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>