[OSList] Whatever happens...

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Feb 2 19:30:11 PST 2016

stuart,

i was heading in the direction of saying that the only evaluation that i've
ever found very useful after an oepn space meeting is a review of what got
done, what will continue, and some reflection on what else might now be
able to happen.  after we give everyone responsibility for their own
experience, and then anyone starts in the direction of evaluation --
including the facilitator going along into "how did i do?"  -- or the
sponsor has a form for everyone to fill out... it always seems to me a bit
like saying "whenever it starts is the right time" and then looking at my
watch.  this is why i thought it was great that you said, this happened...
and i wondered... but whatever happened...

if we give them responsibility for the experience, then we can only ask
them to evaluate their own performance in that experience.  asking about
the design is useless.  assuming that we can cherry-pick the best parts and
just change a few details -- next time -- and we'll get all the best, and
then some more, seems pretty unrealistic.  on the other hand, asking about
what's done, what's in process and what might need another round of
conversation or study, in a taking-stock sort of way... that can be
genuinely useful, for everyone.

mh

--

Michael Herman