[OSList] Whatever happens...

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Feb 2 04:43:26 PST 2016

Sounds like a success to me, like you did s fine job, Stuart. They fully
owned the agenda, brought forth energy and enthusiasm, and in the end were
daring to speak things, by their own admission, that they  they otherwise
would not. You didn't panic when the unexpected happened, as they took the
program on as their own. I see no reason in your story for second guessing
at all. The only question I do wonder about now is "now what?"  What can
happen next?  How to support that?

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016, Stuart Turner via OSList <

> Yesterday I facilitated a two-hour open space at the end of a training
> course for 30 people. I explained the principles, the law, etc. and
> described the marketplace. The marketplace had four time slots across the
> top and four locations down the side. After they had filled the marketplace
> with about 25 sessions, they asked me what they should do. I said “It’s up
> to you”. They started swapping the headings so times now went down the side
> and locations went across the top.
>
> Thinking of the many suggestions to "get out of the way” and “make it
> obvious you’re not an authority”, I decided to take a bathroom break.
>
> On my return I approached one of the spaces to find several of the
> sessions pasted on the wall. I turned to look at the marketplace to
> discover only the time slots and locations remained. Each location had all
> its sessions stuck on the wall.
>
> Whatever happens, I thought.
>
> After noticing there was some confusion about trying to discuss all
> sessions at the same time, conversations moved to become about a more
> defined topic (at least of few of which were not one of the topics on the
> wall).
>
> The closing circle had about half the participants speak, with many
> sounding quite enthusiastic about their experience and what the theme meant
> for their organisation. I noticed many of the people were directing their
> summary to the most senior person in the room. Some even referred to that
> person specifically “I don’t know if I should say this while the boss is
> here”, and similar comments.
>
> I wondered whether the space was beginning to close at that time.
>
> Perhaps I could have done a better job of facilitating or explaining,
> during the introduction. Regardless, it’s probably the only thing that
> could have happened.
>
> Stuart
> Past archives can be viewed here:

Michael Herman