[OSList] What is the sweet spot for Online OS using video chat?

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 29 08:36:54 PDT 2016

Sounds like you are cooking!

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

301-365-2093

Summer Address

189 Beaucauire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207 763-3261

Websites

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com

From: OSList [mailto:oslist-bounces at lists.openspacetech.org] On Behalf Of Lucas Cioffi via OSList
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2016 10:08 PM
To: World wide Open Space Technology email list
Subject: Re: [OSList] What is the sweet spot for Online OS using video chat?

Hi All, thanks for the comments.  Here are some replies for Harrison and Birgitt:

Hello, Harrison, you asked what unique capabilities online tools have.

Here are some ideas about what current technology can do to help OS...

*	It's possible for an online OS participant to see all participants in each breakout space (and the notes being taken in each space) so that they can make a more informed decision about whether to exercise the Law of Two Feet (a.k.a. Law of One Click).
*	It's possible for someone to bring in additional resources, facts, etc into a session while it is happening (the downside is that they are also more distracted than they would be in-person).
*	Connecting by video chat has some advantages (cost, environmental impact, accessibility, etc).  There are also disadvantages like distraction–wait a minute I need to send out a tweet on Twitter; ok I'm back–and the possibility of less personal connection to other participants.

Here are some ideas about what future technology can do to help OS...

*	Multilingual conversations will become possible.  For example, one participant is speaking in Chinese and it's instantly translated so that other participants can listen in their native language.
*	You'll be able to hold an online OS with "robots".  I know this sounds crazy, but it's coming.  For example, in addition to creating an invitation, you can also "create" one or more virtual participants, selecting their personality type, expertise, etc.  They'd be listening and processing all that is said and they would "speak" when it's their turn as if you had a person with that personality and expertise level.  Think of a robot playing the Devil's Advocate for a corporation; it could very well save the organization in some circumstances.  As long as all human participants know that there's a robot participating, I see no harm in this.  It's like having a pet that speaks, and that has it's pros and cons :)  Then again, some day, we might be the robots' pets!
*	Virtual reality will enable us to participate in a much more liberated way.  "Virtual reality" can already create an immersive experience; you can strap on a pair of goggles and it looks like you're in a room with someone else or a group of people or riding a roller coaster (or a wave!).  When you turn your head to the left, the video feed on your screen adjusts so that you get the sensation that you are actually looking to the left.  The scenery is interactive in 360 degrees.  How is this useful?  Well, there's a discussion on OSList right now about people who lack the ability to pick up the pens and paper in the center of the circle.  When people can assume a new virtual "body" there will be no limit to what they can do in the space.  Someone who has one skin color can wear a different skin color if they like.  Someone can speak as an endangered species.  Sounds crazy, I know!  There are many possibilities, and many potential problems as you can imagine.
*	I'm sure others can add to this list...

Hello, Birgitt, you asked what I'd like to create.  I'd like to create something that people will find useful.  I searched the OSList archives and found a fascinating thread from 2012 started by Suzanne Daigle.  To get there, visit the August 2012 Archive <http://lists.openspacetech.org/pipermail/oslist-openspacetech.org/2012-August/thread.html>  and scroll down to "Conversation today with Brian Burt of MaestroConference".  There are so many great ideas from so many talented facilitators on that thread.  I found one of Lisa Heft's responses <http://lists.openspacetech.org/pipermail/oslist-openspacetech.org/2012-August/527642.html>  and one of Michael Herman's responses <http://lists.openspacetech.org/pipermail/oslist-openspacetech.org/2012-August/527641.html>  to be especially helpful.

That conversation lists all the elements that are necessary to be present to classify an online event as OS.  The part that's missing from that conversation is what the user experience would feel like.  Four years have passed since that 2012 thread and many on this list have had plenty of experiences with online tools that lend themselves to being used for Online OS (Tuesday OS hotline, Open Space Online, Zoom, Sococo, MaestroConference, QiqoChat, etc).  Each of these tools has strengths and weaknesses.

Rather than taking a tool-centered approach (how close could we get to OS using what's already available), I'd like to take a moment to invite anyone to share what a great user experience would feel like, gather these ideas on OSList, and then any of these tool makers could build that into their platforms.

Knowing what we now know of online user attention spans, it's got to be simple.

Example:

1. Participant arrives on a page and sees _____________.

2. Next the participant _______________.

Lucas Cioffi