[OSList] : Illegitimate Authority

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 22 05:20:08 PDT 2016

Greetings Fellow Humans!

On a recent weekend, I had the wonderful honor of inviting up to 5
friends up to Harrison's house in Maine, to discuss all things OST.

And it was really, really fun. I thought about "who to invite?" for a
very long time, and carefully selected some truly great people for the
invitation: Jon Jorgensen (West coast OpenSpace Agility guy,) Mark
Sheffield (OpenSpace Agility HANDBOOK co-author,) Stuart Turner
(OpenSpace Agility teacher and Scrum Alliance CST from Singapore,) Salah
Elliethy (OpenSpace Agility teacher and Agile coach in DC,) and Todd
Kromann (OpenSpace Agility and the OST guy who has arranged over-- get
this-- 300 OST events inside WALMART since 2014).

And finally, the day arrived. And there we were all there, all of a
sudden. Out on the porch with Harrison. Enjoying the lake. Chatting with
Harrison. About everything. And the whole thing was very surreal.

And I mostly kept my mouth shut, in service to maximizing the time
everyone else got with Harrison that day. Stuart, after all, came all
the way from Singapore! Jon came all the way from California. Mark came
from North Carolina. Salah came from DC. Todd came all the way from
Arkansas.

So I just did my best to observe, and stay real quiet. And I was doing
OK ...

...but the discussions were very triggering. To say the least! And I had
to stifle myself several times.

And then: I did have this one persistent, burning question keep coming
up for me. And I was definitely going to ASK it...

So I just waited till there a good long while, till there was a good
long pause in all the interactions.

It was just the 7 of us. And after a long series of question and
answers, back and forth, it finally did get real quiet.

And the moment arrived.

And right there I popped the question, into the silence...

*"...Harrison, I have a question... AND THIS IS IT: *

*Is Open Space Technology SUBVERSIVE to illegitimate authority?"*

And Harrison, without any hesitation, goes: *"(chuckle...)
...Abso-lutely...that's the whole POINT!"*

Wow.

Who likes the idea that OST is designed to subvert illegitimate authority?

Who doesn't?

Is this subversive quality of OST a bug...or a feature?

--
Daniel Mezick
Culture Strategist. Author. Keynoter.