[OSList] Accessibility concerns about bending down to pick up paper/pens

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Aug 19 04:47:17 PDT 2016

Harold – I have encountered the problem rarely – and almost inevitably at a University or very senior corporate setting. It set me to thinking… that the issue was largely a matter of ego and not physical disability. Especially when I noticed that those who were actually physically disabled quickly found a work around – well before I could do anything. After all it was a world they lived in and negotiated every day. In most cases they just asked for help. But I did find myself using words of invitation when it came time to write their issues: “Grab a piece of paper and write your issue shortly. If your ego and arthritis permit, just get down on the floor. If you need some help, ask for it.” Works every time.

ho

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854