[OSList] Do I need therapy for my OST control attitude ?

Lisa Heft - via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Apr 14 08:17:56 PDT 2016

Chris, it sounds like you did all the right things.

If we are to honor diversity, then we know that everyone does not feel comfortable in Open Space - and that there is room for them to feel that, too.
You honored the group and its objectives and energies, by asking that man to wait for the agenda to be developed, and you honored that man by separately inviting him to tell you his concern, and by receiving what he felt he needed to say, however he felt he needed to say it. He was mad at you - because he could be. Which to me, is also okay. The group handled itself well, moving forward including (not being de-railed, moving forward) him, in its way. Space for ranting, space for moving forward, space to be witnessed (by you). The group afterwards indicated you had done the right thing.

Now, as a collaborative? I think this group should have given you more info, more information that you would be doing something for them, and I’m guessing they could give this man a follow-up to witness and hear his concern, whether he wants to be in the group or not. Because if they wish to continue together, they don’t just get an outsider in there and set them up to deal with this guy and celebrate when this guy leaves. They need to develop their own internal understanding of who they want to be and how they want their membership to work.

But to me, everything you did was invitational, and present. Good job.

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Faciltator, Educator
Opening Space