[OSList] An invitation for future invitations to WOSONOS

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 30 13:33:05 PDT 2015

Pernilla – It always amazes me how simple things complexify and
happenstantial acts suddenly become “intricate tradition.”

Back in the day, long ages ago, having an Open Space on Open Space (OSONOS)
seemed like a  fun thing to do. I think it took me all of 4-5 hours (total)
to organize it, and the “fee” for attendance was $25. Actually, truth to
tell, I did charge something like $200 for the first one on the grounds that
there was some value added on my part. But after  the first one, when it
became quite clear that I really didn’t do a thing... we got back to
something reasonable. That was $25 to cover Post-its, magic markers, News
Print, etc.  And when it came to figuring out where it was going to “happen”
next – the process was indeed elaborate. Some nice soul just said, “Come See
us.” If two people had similar inclinations, but different places in mind,
who ever spoke second covered the following year. No fuss, no bother and in
10 minutes time the essential arrangements were made.

I don’t know when or how,  but things started to drag on. I am sure a lot of
folks didn’t see it the same way I did, but I have to confess that I found
my two feet working if the discussion of “next place” lasted more than about
10 minutes... being a person of very short attention span. I have been to
most OSONOS’s and loved every one. But a few years ago it did seem to me
that we were working much too hard. It also seemed that having THE (W)OSONOS
was somehow a strangely competitive situation. Definitely working too hard!

As far as I was concerned anyone, anywhere should invite whomsoever to
wherever. OSONOS all over! And just to make the point I tried two such
things in Camden Maine. OSONOS-by-the-Sea, I called it. I think I broke my
record when it came to organizing time. If I said 3 hours, that would be
stretching it. We were filled out in about 48 hours and the fee was $25,
most of which I gave to Lisa for her good work. When it came to
accommodations, I just provided the website of the Chamber of Commerce, and
suggested that anybody who was coming might check it out and find a nice
bed/meal/front porch. A local parish let us have the use of their Hall (for
a small fee) – and we were in business. Actually the fee that they proposed
was so ridiculously low that I doubled it – and we still gave most of the
money to Lisa! Go figure.

Maybe it is catching? I notice that Andrew Rixon is welcoming folks to
Melbourne and I am looking forward to joining Mrs. Song and friends in
Beijing shortly. And then of course Manila is upcoming. And what’s happening
in Sweden?

This seems to have gone on for a bit. And I do have a bottom line: If it
ain’t fun, don’t do it. And if you are working too hard, that definitely
begins to cut into the fun. So Pernilla, in an odd sort of way, I just want
to get back to basics – Would that be tradition? Make it fun. Make it
simple. Open Space wherever you can, and amazing things always happen. The
more the merrier!!!!

Harrison