[OSList] "one less thing to do"

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Sep 3 23:47:48 PDT 2015

Dear Tony,

one less thing to do is a question for practicing open space
facilitators who want to expand time and space for the unfolding of
selforganisation among the participants of an open space event.

Every thing that any or all of the participants can do by themselves
can, if the facilitation steps back from it, expand the
selforganisation. I also say that it simply gives more space for the
force of selforganisation to do its thing.

Doing one less thing is simple. Having discovered something not to do
any longer, just drop doing it. Of course, its simple but it is not easy
since I and I suspect many of my colleagues have to unlearn deeply
seated patterns.

A while back, someone distributed an invitation to all neighbors for a
summertime gettogether. Just the date, the time span, the space and the
invitation to bring something for the buffet. Very quickly, one neighbor
with great experience and skill in organizing such gatherings in her
tennis club came by and said: "You cant just send out an invitation
without adding a list for folks to note what they are going to bring for
the buffet, food, drinks etc. Otherwise you will have no salads but lots
of barbecued meat....!" For some reason the convener decided not to
provide such a list. As it turned out, a grand buffet with an amazing
variety of homecooked delicacies was created... and stuff like dishes,
napkins... tables, chairs... all simply appeared.
This summertime event is now a tradition.
And ever since it started without a list, I claim, initiatives have
sprouted in our neighborhood. Come and see for yourself. We now also
have an Octoberfest (not at all typical for Berlin). In case you want to
get an invitation, just send me an email.

One small activity during any open space event that addresses that
ingrained desire to step in, do something, help folks is to ask a couple
of the people new in the Team to stand at the left and right end of the
bulletin board during during the market phase. The instruction for them
is to simply stand there and to do nothing. Dont help people finding the
correct post it, dont pick up stuff that falls off the wall, etc. Its
one of the toughest excercises and lays the ground for a successul
facilitation career.

At this point, relieved to sending you this note, I ask myself: Do I
always have to answer such enticing and grand questions?

Have a great day and come to the WOSonOS in Krakow... a grand place to
fiddle with our os-craft.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp