[OSList] Creating Space or Opening Space?

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Sep 2 07:25:16 PDT 2015

Re:Do y'all think we are creating space or are we opening space?

Aside from suggesting that we never all think this or that.

And:

My assumption is that I do neither.
Creating space assumes that there is no space.
Opening space assumes that there is a closed space.
Both those assumptions I dont share.

When I talk about my work as facilitator  I try to say something about
EXPANDING time and space for the force of selforganisation to do its
thing (I know this in itself is ridiculous... The Ceasar of Roman times
had someone near him uttering every now and then "Ceasar, you are not
immortal).
Saying that, I am talking about something I THINK, I am contributing to.
And I do it without knowing what the "force of selforganisation" is.
I think it is that force that has been around since the big bang and is
  responible for things we conceive as reality.
There is nothing I can do to influence that force, let alone organise it.
However, knowing something about the preconditions under which life arose
---relatively safe place,
---multitude of elements available,
---the elements start out with sparse connections to each other and
---there is chaos driving things towards order and which,
in open space work, I call
---complex issue to which no one person has the solution/answer,
---high diversity in the folks attending,
---urgent issue (not topic or theme) with a
---decision time of yesterday,
---high real or potential conflict and, this has also proven helpful,
--- voluntary participation on the basis of a genuine invitation. With
genuine I mean an invitation that you can say yes or no to

I as facilitator can do a whole bunch of stuff at the very first contact
I have with a sponsor, in a contact meeting of all those individuals
belonging to the sponsor and in the planning meeting which, in relation
to the preconditions, to promote the preconditions to be in  place.
In the event itself... etc. Here I  suggest the text by Harrison (users
Guide, which I read cover to cover ahead of each os-event I facilitate)
or for those fluent in German, the text I have written.

Dear Lucas,
I didnt study your email beyond your first question which is due to me
finding that a wonderful question that I just had to respond to.

Cheers to all of you
Greetings from Berlin
mmp