[OSList] Inviting non-invitation

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Sep 1 10:15:00 PDT 2015

> People who write sonnets accept constraints.  monks and nuns accept
> constraints.  Musicians accept constraints.  Athletes accept constraints.
> People who live on islands accept constraints.  The idea here is that in
> accepting sometimes extremely limiting constraints, you are forced to go
> deeper in your work.  AS a manager if you also offer invitations into a
> constrained space, you may indeed create the conditions for some amazing
> things to happen.  “You have $3000 to work with on your prototype, but you
> have to work with two other people and get it done in two days.  Do you
> accept this invitation?  OK! Go!”

yes!  and there is the chance to notice that there can be a difference
between a manager imposing random constraints versus clearly articulating
and/or translating the constraints that ARE already existing in the
environment.  there is also the possibility for managers to overreact in
the transmitting of environment to system, to editorialize and use outside
forces as excuses for imposing constraints.  people can opt in to
constraints that are randomly or otherwise badly articulated, but i think
the ideal to strive for is the very cleanest transmission of the bigger
picture environmental constraints.  the practice of invitation is a kind of
search for truth(s) about what is.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Chris Corrigan via OSList <