[OSList] Moving through open space! - Inquiry/request

Tricia Chirumbole via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Oct 13 07:51:57 PDT 2015

Hi Harrison and all!

Harrison, thanks for providing a prompt that has helped me to clarify my
message.

*Clarifying mindful movement: *

The "mindful movement" that I reference is not a specific methodology at
all. Rather, it is the phrase that I chose in my best effort to convey a
broad set of experiences and practices that are infinite that I am
passionate about exploring and sharing.

When I talk about mindful movement, at the core is the invitation/intention
to allow oneself, and others, the time, space, and most importantly the
“permission”, to move intuitively and improvisationally – without judgement
and with presence.

I see all practices that engage the body with awareness, or support
awareness of the body, like Qi Gong, breathwork, Yoga, etc, as part of the
world of mindful movement. I learn from these and find value in combining
these with intuitive movement.

*Where my inquiry begins: *

I am currently experimenting with different structures, intentions, venues,
and other aspects of when and how and with whom one may experience mindful
movement. This is why I have reached out to the OS list – to learn more
about their relationship with “mindful movement” and the integration of
body awareness and movement language into their facilitation, coaching,
consulting practices.

*Where it gets Open Spacey: *

I see mindful movement as another way to be in “open space” without any
words or even any ideas often. I held a short talk at Agile Boston’s
CultureCon conference a few years back (thanks to Daniel Mezick) on
“opening space” where, thanks to the wonderful coaching of Harold Shinsato,
I included my experiences with mindful movement (which I was aligning with
Ecstatic Dance, a capital letter practice), along with deep listening, and
improv comedy, as ways to open space.

I am not suggesting that movement of any sort is needed to be “applied” to
any practice or experience to improve it, but rather that it is a valuable
experience and resource in its own right, for which we tend to have limited
opportunities to practice “mindfully” in our culture, and for which
prevailing limiting beliefs seem to prevent many of us from remembering and
exploring that part of our human experience.

*My question to OS facilitators: *

My questions to the group are relatively open-ended: Does any of this
resonate with you? Does this touch on anything that you would like to learn
more about, expand upon, or incorporate more into your life or your work
with others?

If any bells are ringing, would you be willing to share your thoughts with
me? If this resonates strongly, are you interested in having a conversation
with me and seeing where it goes as I continue my experimentation with
offering mindful movement opportunities to people?

Thanks for reading :)

Tricia Chirumbole

Facilitator. Coach. Champion.

Co-Creative Culture Building
Mojo Collaborative
www.mojocollaborative.com

571-232-0942
skype: tricia.chirumbole
twitter: @themojozone

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Harrison Owen via OSList <