[OSList] The Tyranny of Structurelessness

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Oct 4 11:59:05 PDT 2015

“Everything is moving.”  .... Michael -- I remember that moment very well. And Dan, I’m not sure the context, etc, would help very much. But just for the record the odd phrase popped out at one of the International Symposia on Organization Transformation which happened to be taking place at a small college south of Seattle. I have no idea why Ralph said what he did, and I’m not sure Ralph did either. But then again a lot of marvelous stuff seems to burst out with no obvious logic train. Indeed it may be that the lack of logic train enables the thought?

Whatever the genesis, the phrase wandered about my head for some time, quite unattached, and it also happened that I was working my way slowly through one of the masterpieces of 20th century western philosophy when a fuzzy connection began to form. The work was that of Alfred North Whitehead, and the title: “Process and Reality.” I’ve been through the book probably 4-5 times, and I am frank to confess that I don’t think I really understand it. But then again I’ve heard  a number of people with much greater credentials, tenure, etc – say the same thing. But I did get that it had something to do with, “Everything is moving.” And the more I thought and read, the more I felt that the good philosopher had made a small mistake on his title. It shouldn’t be “Process and Reality,” but rather “Process is Reality.”

Now, Anna Caroline we come to “structure,” or perhaps I should say the fallacy of Structure? Yes I know – we’ve all been taught that structure is the precursor, the “determinator” of everything. My face looks as it does because of my bone structure. My life proceeds the way it does because of my social structure. My business works as it does because of the organizational structure. And of course, meetings happen the way they do because of meeting structure, which apparently is the prime domain of “facilitators.” And even if we hadn’t been “taught” all this, the primacy of structure would appear to be blatantly obvious – as plain as the nose on your face.

Unfortunately, it does seem to turn out that sometimes the blatantly obvious is not necessarily so. For example just looking at things it is pretty clear that the world is flat, or at the least bumpy flat. And any fool can see that we are the center of it all – Sun, moon, and stars whiz around us.  But when we think about it, as we have been doing for the last 500-600 years, the obvious isn’t so obvious.

It is reasonable to ask what would start to make us think differently – to the point that we begin to question the obvious, and even come to see things in a different way? Taking a leap, I will suggest that it all begins with the perception of anomaly. Things just don’t make sense. Our eyes tell us one thing... but???? And then we start making up stories to explain the apparently unexplainable. We imagine different ways of looking at things so that the nonsensical makes sense. Some of those stories get pretty strange, but if they actually work – that is to say, help us to see in new and useful ways – that’s great!

There is, of course, a proper term for the activity I have been describing. It is called Theory Building. And for whatever it is worth, “theory” comes from the Greek “theorein” – to see. In a word, theories are ways of looking at things – likely stories you might say.

Now, at long last (too long?) we come to the odd story I was starting to tell, to the effect that Structure is only a figment of our imagination, a flash frame of a moment gone by. Interesting, and helpful under some circumstances... but always partial and in a sense illusory. What’s “really” happening is all flow. Everything is moving – That’s Ralph’s story, and I guess it is mine too.

So how did I get to such a weird condition? It was all about anomaly – more particularly, the anomaly of Open Space. Everything that I had ever learned told me that it could not work. Unfortunately it did (work) – and not just once, but every time, hundreds of thousands of times. Something was definitely weird. It seemed to me that I had to re-consider all those things I thought I had learned, beginning with the basics... such things as Structure.

Common sense would say that Open Space works because we somehow created a structure that enabled it to work. That’s the way things get done, or so I had been taught. But that’s not the way things happened in Open Space. Structure emerged along the way and only momentarily. Worse yet it (structure) seemed to have little to do with the obvious power, connections, creativity.... all of which created structures, and passed them by. And actually it always seemed to me that the “structures” I “saw” existed only because I wanted to see them – or perhaps that I “should” see them. But they were only momentary wisps, figments – never to be mistaken for what was really going on. Or so I’ve been thinking.

Harrison