[OSList] What's authority got to do with Open Space ?

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Nov 30 03:15:18 PST 2015

Hi Koos,

Thanks for your comment on personal passion. There's this very
interesting paper on the various authority types (informal, formal,
personal) which is pretty good, I am including it here if you want to
check it out.

I hear you when you say "I can initiate that process of authorizing
myself by taking responsibility for my passion." This is exactly what we
hope will happen inside company-sponsored OST events.

Within the context of Open Space held in an organization that wants to
explore an enterprise-wide change, we can expect the following to be
true, if the event is to work well:

1. Formally Authorized Leader. A person formally and highly authorized
by the organization sends an invite with a theme. This "formally
authorizes" the time and space for the gathering.

2. Proceedings and Intent to Act- with Inclusion. That same person
welcomes everyone on event-day, and at the opening, encourages the
generation of proceedings, and signals that those proceedings will be
inspected and acted upon, not just by the formally authorized leaders
(the so-called "higher ups") but also with the new and emerging leaders
who have identified themselves during the event ("be prepared to be
surprised.") In other words, the people present are being invited to
have their say, document it, and expect that these issues are going be
input into a formally authorized and inclusive process of deciding,
acting, and improving things.

Now, absent these two facts, how "important" is the OST event? How much
"action" can ensue?

1. Formally Authorized Leader. No formally authorized leader issuing the
invite? Or someone /without enough authorization to matter?/ The signal
is clear: this theme (and this event) is /not important/ to the people
who make the decisions.

2. Proceedings and Intent to Act- with Inclusion. Since no one in the
room has enough formal authority to implement plans suggested in the
proceedings, we can reasonably expect nothing whatsoever to ensue in
formal terms after the meeting. This, because people who /could/ do
something about it (those formally authorized by the organization) "do
not care."

So- the highly authorized Sponsor (or Host) is essential. Otherwise, in
authority terms, the OST event and what happens there just doesn't
matter from an organizational point of view. It cannot have much of an
impact.

Much ado about nothing?

Here's that paper I mentioned earlier:
https://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/projektDV/ht09/BART_Green_Molenkamp.pdf

I notice that most people prefer to avoid discussing authority. Since
our families are the first place where we encounter this concept and
develop our relationship with it, perhaps it is true that discussing
authority can be very triggering. Thanks for sticking your neck out and
I certainly hope to hear back from you and others on this thread.

Daniel