[OSList] Using OST to facilitate Agile process

Lari Karreinen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 13 23:42:28 PST 2015

Hello Kim and Daniel

This is very interesting because I've started a process with Finnish Red
Cross Youth to learn agile way and Lean for startups -method. We've used
open space to inspire about 100 youth volunteers to do experiments
within a month. Their energy was overwhelming and the experiments they
have planned are now implemented.

This has also challenged the way of working in the Finnish Red Cross, as
big NGOs tend to emphasize planning over doing. Now they are doing the
experiments within 2 month cycles.

The hierarchical structure of the organisation challenges us, because
paid staff is in headquarters but the volunteers are scattered all over
the country in several disctricts and branches. For example we don't
have a possibility to gather volunteers to meet live for a
retrospective. Now writing this I think arranging an online open space
could be one solution.

It has been demanding to apply SCRUM framework to an NGO. They are such
a different worlds. We are learning a lot. And now learning faster.

I wish I had known OpenSpace Agility beforehand, but now I'll have to
catchup with it. Great, thanks!

--
Lari Karreinen
Solution focused facilitator, coach, volunteer leadership trainer
lari at karreinen.org
GSM +358 400 487 642
skype: lari_karreinen
www.karreinen.org